Author Topic: Email Scanner Service on Zone Alarm  (Read 19052 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Email Scanner Service on Zone Alarm
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:46 PM »
The great thing about the avast plugin for Outlook is that it is written to work with Outlook to scan the messages totally independently of the way the message is transmitted - so it doesn't matter if the message is on a secure email connection or not an email connection at all (like Hotmail).

If you never user any other mail (or news) client then the Internet Mail provider is of no value on a Win98 system.

alanrf,

When you mention Outlook are you referring to Outlook Express?

Also when you say any other mail or news client, I take it you mean anything other than Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook.

As you know I use 98, and the Internet Mail definitely works if I use Outlook Express, and when I use my default client which is Microsoft Outlook then the Outlook Exchange plugin kicks in for that one.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
No he isn't, because in the same sentence he also mentions the avast plugin for Outlook. There is no plugin for Outlook Express, the Internet Mail provider is for that and all other pop3 email clients other than MS Outlook, which has its own plugin.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »
nightshade,

I based my comments on your earlier post in the thread:

As I only use the Microsoft Outlook Email Client I went for the manual check, and excluded Outlook Express.

As David has clarified - the avast Outlook plugin only works with Microsoft Outlook.

There is nothing special at all about Outlook Express - is just another common or garden mail client like Eudora or Thunderbird.  Those mail clients - if you used any of them - would be handled by the Internet Mail provider (with the help of the Mail Wizard on Win9x systems).

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:58:50 PM by alanrf »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
No he isn't, because in the same sentence he also mentions the avast plugin for Outlook. There is no plugin for Outlook Express, the Internet Mail provider is for that and all other pop3 email clients other than MS Outlook, which has its own plugin.

DavidR,

I wish you wouldn't mis-interpret everything I say.

I was referring to the Avast plugin for Microsoft Outlook, and I know full well that it is not for Outlook Express, this is why I asked Alanrf to clarify what he meant when he referred to Outlook.

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 12:11:06 AM »
If you never user any other mail (or news) client then the Internet Mail provider is of no value on a Win98 system.

Am I understanding what you are saying here in simple laymen's terms as.........

If I only ever use Microsoft Outlook then the Internet Mail Provider would be of no use?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 12:12:14 AM »
Well forgive me for wasting my time I shan't make the same mistake again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 12:15:09 AM »
Well forgive me for wasting my time I shan't make the same mistake again.

DavidR,

Now now, I really do appreciate your help, it's just sometimes I am more baffled by your replies than I was before I asked :-)

Please don't think I was being nasty to you, quite the opposite.

:)
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 12:26:29 AM »
If I only ever use Microsoft Outlook then the Internet Mail Provider would be of no use?

For a Win98 user (as you are) that is precisely what I said.

Styx

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »

Am I understanding what you are saying here in simple laymen's terms as.........

As I said earlier, if you only use Outlook and have no accounts in other Mail Programs then
Internet Mail Shield is not doing anything for you. However, do you use a News Program
that is on Port 119? Then Internet Mail Shield does check that too.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »

As I said earlier, if you only use Outlook and have no accounts in other Mail Programs then
Internet Mail Shield is not doing anything for you. However, do you use a News Program
that is on Port 119? Then Internet Mail Shield does check that too.

As far as I know I don't use a news program.

And like I have said earlier, I have both MS Outlook and Outlook Express, and although I don't have the latter as my default email client I still require the Internet Mail provider to be running in case of a potential spambot that may want to use Outlook Express.

But just thinking, I may just tell ZA to report if Outlook Express is being used, that way there are 2 programs checking for a spambot.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:04:36 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 02:53:18 AM »
I'm sorry but you have missed the point ... the spambots have nothing to do with Outlook Express ... I have explained above why the Internet Mail provider cannot detect spambots in a Win98 system.

You need the Internet Mail provider only if you actually use Outlook Express to receive or send emails (or as a news client).

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 03:06:16 AM »
I'm sorry but you have missed the point ... the spambots have nothing to do with Outlook Express ... I have explained above why the Internet Mail provider cannot detect spambots in a Win98 system.

You need the Internet Mail provider only if you actually use Outlook Express to receive or send emails (or as a news client).

I haven't missed the point, my Outlook Express Email Client has as I have stated previously been modified my the Avast wizard, so proxies have been set.

The MS Outlook Exchange plugin takes care of the MS Outlook default Email Client.

So please tell me how a spambot can work undetected on any of my email clients regardless of it being on Windows 98, as per your quote below......

So the Internet Mail provider is useless for Win9x users except when used with specific clients that have been modified by the Mail wizard to have proxies set.

So a specific client such as Outlook Express has been modified by the mail wizard as per your quote above, so surely, as in my case this is acceptable for any spambot attempt is it not?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:30:17 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 03:28:18 AM »
And like I have said earlier, I have both MS Outlook and Outlook Express, and although I don't have the latter as my default email client I still require the Internet Mail provider to be running in case of a potential spambot that may want to use Outlook Express.

But just thinking, I may just tell ZA to report if Outlook Express is being used, that way there are 2 programs checking for a spambot.
I configured ZAP to make OE ask for permisssion to connect.  My avast! email scanner service (ashMaiSv.exe) must also ask permission.  I then configured ZAP Outbound MailSafe as follows:

Styx

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 03:30:26 AM »
I am assuming you have NO Accounts set up in Outlook Express since you don't use it.
Spam Bots use the setup accounts to send bogus messages. If no accounts exist then
no sends are possible.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 03:34:27 AM »
I am assuming you have NO Accounts set up in Outlook Express since you don't use it.
Spam Bots use the setup accounts to send bogus messages. If no accounts exist then
no sends are possible.

You are right, I don't use Outlook Express, so I have removed the account for it.

Funny how the easiest solution comes eventually doesn't it.

Thank you Styx.

:)

My question which kind of relates to this is what if a spambot tried to use my only email account, what is it that Avast recognises about it to stop it and inform me, remembering that I have a 98 system, or is it the Network Shield that does this of which isn't compatible with windows 98.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 04:05:11 AM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit