Author Topic: Avast effecting System Restore  (Read 4050 times)

DaVinci

Avast effecting System Restore
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »
I've been using Avast Home edition on a Windows Me system for approximately six months.  During the previous two weeks, I noticed that automatic system restore checkpoints were not being created.  In exploring this over the past few days, the indicators point to Avast as the culprit preventing the restore points.  If I stop ALL running services related to Avast, System Restore creates an automatic checkpoint within minutes.  I've repeated this numerous times, and it's definitely related to Avast.  

I've tried to systematically identify what may be effecting System Restore.  For example, I've tried disabling VRDB, then disabling the real-time scanners, but it's only when I kill all processes related to Avast that the automatic checkpoint gets created.  

This is a recent development with Avast.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Avast, but this had no effect in correcting the problem.  Has this issue come up before?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast effecting System Restore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 04:45:06 AM »
Has this issue come up before?

I think not... I'm here quite a long time. Anyway you can make a search on the forums board.
I saw the opposite, I mean, the need of disabling System Restore of Windows Me to get rid from file infections on the files of that folder (protected by Windows).

Of course, it won't help but Symantec GoBack is quite the best 'system recovery' application I have ever used in my life. Saved me a lot of times. Thanks God!  8)
The best things in life are free.

DaVinci

Re:Avast effecting System Restore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 05:05:49 AM »
I think not... I'm here quite a long time. Anyway you can make a search on the forums board.
I saw the opposite, I mean, the need of disabling System Restore of Windows Me to get rid from file infections on the files of that folder (protected by Windows).

I ran a search before posting and found nothing related to System Restore.  That's what prompted my curiosity to see if this had ever come up before.  As I mentioned in my initial post, this has only developed in the last couple of weeks.  I'm trying to isolate what might have initiated the conflict so I can correct the problem if possible.

You're correct about the need to disable System restore if you want to purge any infected files that are contained there.  However, any infected files in System Restore are harmless.............unless, of course, you decide to restore to a point after an infection.