Author Topic: Default for reboot  (Read 4867 times)

beck

Default for reboot
« on: April 22, 2004, 05:09:19 AM »
I'm seriously upset. I was in the middle of reconfiguring a system in another state when Avast updated and wanted to reboot.

It doesn't matter if it was yes or no for a default since I was typing commands and I would get spaces and returns.

I would like to request that Avast NEVER prompt to reboot. Since it works in the background, if I'm typing when it wants to reboot, it can just do that.

It should display a message with an OK button letting you know that you should reboot soon. But should never be allowed to make such a mistake.

Now someone has to go into their office in the middle of the night to help me finish up their system.

Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Default for reboot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 07:12:27 AM »
I'm seriously upset. I was in the middle of reconfiguring a system in another state when Avast updated and wanted to reboot.

It doesn't matter if it was yes or no for a default since I was typing commands and I would get spaces and returns.

I would like to request that Avast NEVER prompt to reboot. Since it works in the background, if I'm typing when it wants to reboot, it can just do that.

It should display a message with an OK button letting you know that you should reboot soon. But should never be allowed to make such a mistake.

Now someone has to go into their office in the middle of the night to help me finish up their system.

Thank you.

Sorry for the inconvenience but a lot of users love that option (the best thing to do is to boot immediatly but avast allow you to be warned). If you do not 'like' this behavior, I suggest you let only virus database automatic updates (VPS) and let the program updates to 'manual'. Generally, VPS updates do not require boot. Hope this help  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 08:15:03 AM »
It should never ask for reboot unless you initiate a program update. If you've set program updating to Auto - than realize that avast will from time to time want you to reboot (suddenly). If you have not, however, avast should only ask for reboot when you initiate the update...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

beck

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 04:09:10 AM »
If I set the program update to manual, how do I know I'll find it "in time"?  Usually the reboot is only once a month, but I don't know the day.

If I set it to ask, what if I'm typing when it asks to download, will it pop up a window like the reboot one or just a message above the taskbar?

Perhaps an option in the ini file or in the setup screen to have either the reboot yes/no or you should reboot ok message?  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 08:44:45 AM »
If I set it to ask, what if I'm typing when it asks to download, will it pop up a window like the reboot one or just a message above the taskbar?

Just a message above the taskbar, very similar you're (probably) seeing with virus database updates. Shouldn't really be that disturbing...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.