Author Topic: AVAST IN FRENCH AVAIBLE  (Read 4109 times)

Hurricane

AVAST IN FRENCH AVAIBLE
« on: April 22, 2004, 11:28:20 AM »
Hi all,

i have seen there's a french version avaible in the dowload section of the site!!!
http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html

I suppose this is the final version  ;D

Good work igor and all team and congratulations for the respect of the date :

Re:INTRODUCING: avast! French version - Beta
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2004, 02:24:57 PM »
The "final" update should be released in about 2-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 12:15:00 PM by Hurricane »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:AVAST IN FRENCH AVAIBLE
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 11:31:08 AM »
Yes, it is the "final" release of the update.
The translation of the help files is not yet fully completed (some pages are still in English, as well as the table of content), but I hope it will be finished in the next update.
Thanks to all who helped!

rloschmann

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 02:14:02 PM »
Thank you for the release !!  :)

by the way, is there a way to report errors in the french GUI ?

I have noticed some typos, inconsistencies, non translated words...

Should i post them directly in the forum or do you provide a better method ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 02:15:22 PM »
You can post them here, or send them to me by private message... whatever suits you.

rloschmann

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:46:49 PM »
First i want to say that i have a PhD in computer science and worked on MMI (Man-Machine Interface) problems.

Ok, here are the most significant things i've noticed (skin GUI):

I think the worse thing for the understanding of a software is inconsistencies (the same thing has different names) and there are a lot !!!

here are few examples :

The software is called "programme", "application", "avast". I prefere one of the two last.

The on-acces protection : "protection résidente", "scan résident", "scanner résident". I prefere "protection résidente".

the scan action : "scanner", "scan", "tester", "vérifier". I prefere "analyser".

the scan area : "aire", "zone", "dossier". I prefere "dossier".

Some popups inform to press the button to do something and some don't. Well i think everyone knows that one have to press the button to do something. It just makes the sentence long and sometimes the popup goes out before you can read the whole sentence.
Stop informing users to press the button !! Just inform them about the function of the button.

Words not translated :

"Exit" should be "Fermer".
"On", "Off" could be "Oui", "Non".

There are a lot more things that could be done better but it takes too long describing them that way. I would like to help you improve the french translation (and why not the english version which also has inconsistencies). Do you have a file containing all the sentences in english and their actual french equivalent ?
It would be much easier and faster for me to work with such a file !!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 05:45:30 PM »
Well, it's a little more complicated than a simple text file, we have a special tool for that (for the program; help files, which probably include the tooltips you mention, are a number of HTML and text files).
I will let you know later with some details.

As for the terms... there was a discussion here about it. It's sort of hard to choose terms that everybody likes. Of course, obvious mistakes should be corrected and confusion should be avoided - but if more options are possible, it may be hard to choose the "best" one.
I left it up to the original translator to choose the basic terms (since I can't speak French, I could hardly decide it anyway :)).
I am not saying that it cannot be improved (in the big project, it's not simple to guess where the given word/sentence will actually be used, so it's easy to choose an incorrect one). Your offer is certainly welcome and I'll contact you later.
Thanks!

rloschmann

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 08:12:29 AM »
I'll be glad to help !