Author Topic: Avast! freezes all my programs  (Read 4360 times)

sullydog

Avast! freezes all my programs
« on: November 29, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »
Just loaded Avast! The system seems to run fine, until I open a program--any program. The program rapidly freezes up and will not allow me to close, even with task manager. The system itself is still running, and I can open another program--which will in turn freeze up and not allow itself to be closed. Meanwhile, CPU usage remains at a minimum. If I restart and disable Avast! everything works perfectly--programs open, function, and close normally--which would seem to suggest that Avast! itself is the problem.

Prior to installing Avast! I removed all other security software from my system. I'm running Win XP. Any wisdom out there?

onlysomeone

Re: Avast! freezes all my programs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
which were your previously installed security programs?
how did you remove them? uninstall via the control panel? use uninstall tools?

sullydog

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »
Symantec Internet Security. Used the control panel, which in turn opened up the Symantec uninstall utility.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
OK all is not gone try the Norton uninstall utility from here http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 reboot
then try again

sullydog

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »
That did the trick, onlysomeone. Thanks for your help. And for providing yet another example of why Symantec needed to be out of my life.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »
There are some who feel it is harder to get rid of symantec than to get rid of an infection ;D

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onlysomeone

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
That did the trick, onlysomeone. Thanks for your help. And for providing yet another example of why Symantec needed to be out of my life.

You're welcome, allthough essexboy did the work :)