Author Topic: Avast Program Update?  (Read 2864 times)

sooflymami

Avast Program Update?
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:59:09 AM »
The green notice used to pop up everytime when I turn my computer on for Avast but now, it's not coming up anymore. I've had those green notices come up on my screen but I didn't click on it. The blue notice saying "new definitions has been updated" still comes up but not the green one that says there's a new update available. I right clicked on the avast icon and went to "about avast" and it said that I have the 4.8 version. And Ive already renewed the license key a while ago. I have the settings to ask when theres a new program update and the new definitions update is set as automatic. What should I do?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Program Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »
The Blue and Green notifications represent different things. You won't get both a Green and Blue notice for a single update process.

The Blue is a notification that an update has taken place, because you have the Program Settings, Update (Basic), Virus database set to Auto.

The Green is a notification that an update is available, if you have the Program Settings, Update (Basic), Program (or Virus database) set to Ask, e.g. it will check if an update is available and Ask you via the notification screen.

The default settings are Virus database = Auto and Program = Ask (because they are likely to be much larger). You won't get that if the update is set to auto, it will just get on with it and notify you that the update is complete (Blue)

So program updates are the only ones that would generate the Green notification and they aren't very frequent, though we have had a program update 4.8.1290 about a week ago (19/11/2008) and a minor tweak of that update 4.8.1296 very recently. Program updates are spread over 7 days to balance server load.

So you probably missed the green notice or ignored it, if your program version doesn't match that latest one 4,8,1296, do a manual program update, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, Program Update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security