Author Topic: Conflict with Online Armor  (Read 8259 times)

mikeinmexico

Conflict with Online Armor
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »
Beware if you are running the Online Armor firewall. The recent automatic avast program update made a mess of my system (XP Home SP3). After much work, I figured out that even if I shut down the firewall during avast install, the reboot process after initial install causes some kind of conflict (presumably because OA is trying to start up again). Only solution is to uninstall OA, or prevent it from starting on boot, until the avast install process is complete. I didn't try safe mode, but may be the best solution.
The message is; if you run Online Armor, do not have avast automatic program updates turned on.

timcan

Re: Conflict with Online Armor
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »
Beware if you are running the Online Armor firewall. The recent automatic avast program update made a mess of my system (XP Home SP3). After much work, I figured out that even if I shut down the firewall during avast install, the reboot process after initial install causes some kind of conflict (presumably because OA is trying to start up again). Only solution is to uninstall OA, or prevent it from starting on boot, until the avast install process is complete. I didn't try safe mode, but may be the best solution.
The message is; if you run Online Armor, do not have avast automatic program updates turned on.

Hi,do you have the program guard (hips) active in online armor? If so, is avast set as a trusted program?Just wondering as I use OA free with avast! on xp sp3 without issues.  tim

sded

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
Are you using OA3?   Works for most of us with avast!  I have two Vista computers with OA full/Avast! and one XP computer with OA free Avast! running.  Have found a conflict between the web scanners with Opera on the Vista computers, but nothing as serious as you are seeing.  What Avast! providers are you using?  Maybe try turning the OA web scanner off to see if it is related to the problem I see.

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »
I set Avast prog updates to 'Ask' and then before updating, I set OA to 'learning mode'. I've had problems before when I didn't do this, but today's update seems to have worked ok
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:22:37 PM »
In other thread some user said you must enter in installing mode of OA or avast won't be correctly installed and you'll have trouble next boot.
The best things in life are free.

mikeinmexico

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:21:44 PM »
Just to clarify ... Avast and OA run quite happily together, as long as i install Avast first. The problem arises when installing a new Avast version, and occurs in the reboot part of the install.

sded

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
I just reinstalled OA3 free on my XP SP3 machine, then upgraded avast! to 4.8.1290 and got the hang on reboot, which cleared itself after a few minutes with still some OA issues.  Opera was being blocked for some reason, maybe related to other Opera problem.  Put OA in learning mode and used Opera, and seems to be working now.  Probably putting OA in learning mode before updating avast! will work better.  Doesn't happen on my Vista machines, BTW.

harrys

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
I did it by uninstalling OA3, letting Avast update, and them reinstalling OA3. However, I think it's the learning mode during the install that makes it work.

So try putting Online Armor in learning mode and then doing the AVast update.

Baz

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 05:27:50 AM »
So try putting Online Armor in learning mode and then doing the AVast update.

Putting OA through learning mode definitely solves one annoying problem: OA popup boxes every time Avast auto-updates. But yikes, just had to do it all over again with Avast's latest build update, 4.8.1296