Author Topic: New release of avast Home/Pro [4.8.1290]  (Read 29339 times)

ProgrammerGuy

Re: New release of avast Home/Pro [4.8.1290]
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Just got the 1290 update and so far no problems...  Everything seems to continue to play nice...  :)

Kudos to the ALWIL Team who will "release no update before it's time"... ;)

Best move I've made in the past six months was to dump AVG!!! 8)

rklm

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
Something must have gone seriously wrong: I cannot even boot Windows Recovery Console from DVD; every time I select the installation on C:\WINDOWS the system does not open the console but reboots. I am suspecting a hardware issue for now but might try the recovery system links you provided. Seems like my original intuition of a coincidence proves spot on. As if I enjoyed wasting my weekend debugging. Grrr!

Thanks for all your help!

Rick F

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »
If you're not even getting the screen (F8 for boot sequence), I'm thinking BIOS could be at fault.  Not sure how you would get around that to troubleshoot though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »
rklm, sorry, seems a hardware or, at least, BIOS issue...
The best things in life are free.

sunrisecc

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2008, 11:37:23 PM »
You could try to get into the BIOS and see if the hard drive is defined or at least be able to boot from a bootable cd. (if you can get that far)

rklm

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »
rklm, sorry, seems a hardware or, at least, BIOS issue...

I did a complete scan with Avira recovery CD but to no avail. Booting Knoppix works and I can access files on the disk which used to be C: and the partition table seems ok. I tried various BIOS settings (switching off UDMA, reset PnP settings etc.).  I even unplugged other IDE devices but no effect either.  A demo version of a disk test tool at http://www.german-sales.com/hardwaretest.htm wasn't really helpful, although a strange thing happened: the tool claimed that the read test on hd0 was canceled by the user although I did not do it.  This did not happen with the other disk (both are larger than the BIOS regularly recognizes - 160GB and 250GB).

Is there some way to find out whether there is a BIOS error?  And if there was a BIOS error, in which way could that be related to the avast update?  This is really weird...

Appreciate any ideas what else to do (other than carrying the PC into the next service shop).

Cheers

robert

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 12:54:04 AM »
It's beyond my knowledge, sorry.
If you have access to files, backup. That is my only advice.
The best things in life are free.

rklm

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 11:23:55 AM »
Just a quick summary for those who followed this case: turns out my on board IDE controller is defect. Reading works properly but during some write operations it fails. Apparently this messed up my Windows installation during upgrade of Avast. Bought an IDE controller card and after going through some hoops (needed to flash the controller BIOS because that was too old), did a Windows repair installation and all is well again.  :D

Thanks again to all who listened and tried to help!

robert