Author Topic: New to Avast  (Read 3053 times)

Crookes

New to Avast
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:43:47 AM »
Okay so the computer I'm using originally came with two years of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security.  The two years expired today.  Yesterday I downloaded Avast to try the free 60 days and see if it would be my new Antivirus program.  Everything seemed to be working fine yesterday, but today I have had some problems.

1.  The blue A icon doesn't seem to spin anymore.  Yesterday it was spinning every time a web page was opening/loading.

2.  After closing Firefox I cannot seem to open it again without restarting my computer.  Also if I try to go to IE after closing Firefox my comp freezes.  So basically once I open a Firefox window I can't close it unless I plan on shutting down my comp.

3.  I don't know too much in this field so is this program too advanced for me?  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to do a scan.

I also use Ad-aware Ad-Watch, and Spybot Search and Destroy.  After my other antivirus expired I activated Windows Firewall since Avast apparently doesn't have one.

So any tips/hints for me?  Or would another antivirus be more suitable for me?

Avastmeharty

Re: New to Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:58:09 AM »
3. Too advanced? Maybe for the first few minutes, but Avast is simple, really.

4. If you're using this for non-commercial use, Avast Home Edition is free (It has everything but an Enhanced UI, script scanning on pages, PUSH updates, and a couple other things).

If you're using this for commercial/etc. use, then I'd try out some other apps as well. For free, Avast is spectacular. Check out sites like PCMagazine and CNET before buying security software, though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:00:32 AM by Avastmeharty »

speckledbird

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:23:37 AM »
I re-read your post and I wonder, did you un-install your previous antivirus software.???  I know you can gets lots of problems if 2 antiviruses are installed at  the same time.

Crookes

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:25:23 AM »
Okay for some reason I had download the small business version.  I downloaded the home edition and everything is running smoothly again.  Hopefully the same problems don't happen again.

I have not un-installed the previous antivirus but I have deactivated it for the time being.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:40:43 AM »

Deactivation is not enough. There will be conflicts if Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security is not completely removed from your computer.