Author Topic: I can't seem to access my webmail through Mozilla Thunderbird  (Read 7945 times)

dawnrager

I can't seem to access my webmail through Mozilla Thunderbird
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:40:52 PM »
I'm new to avast... I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird to access my webmail, but now that I have avast installed, I can't seem to download my messages to Thunderbird.  I see the avast works with Microsoft Outlook (in the setup area), but I'm not sure if it's compatible with Thunderbird?  If it is, can someone help me to figure out what to do so my Thunderbird can download my email messages? 

Thanks a bunch!

Dawn

sded

Re: I can't seem to access my webmail through Mozilla Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »
Which Thunderbird extension and email provider are you using?   http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webmail_with_your_email_client is a bit vague, but take a look at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40123.0 .

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »
Dawn,

I have been using Thunderbird and Avast together for a long time, and Avast works great with it.
First make sure if you are using a firewall to allow avast e-mail scanner services to connect to the local and internet zones.
The problem may also be in your Thunderbird connection settings. In thunderbird, access them by going to:
Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network & Disk Space --> Connection.
My settings are shown in the attachment link below.

Also right click on the Avast blue ball icon, select On-Access Protection Control --> Internet Mail --> Customize, and make sure the POP setting is checkmarked to "Scan incoming mail".

Let us know if this helps. ;)
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

sded

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »
Acco, thanks for the info-I use the pop Gmail interface, not webmail usually.  Followed the instructions at http://webmail.mozdev.org/serversettings.html and after going through the wizard it worked even without the explicit proxy in TB, as mentioned by Alanrf in the previous reference. Received scanned webmail with no problems, so looks like the wizard takes care of everything except the avast! settings.  Of course, gmail has already virus scanned it so shouldn't find anything.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:45:59 PM by sded »

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »
sded,
Glad part of my info helped you, hope it also helps the op.
I also use TB with pop Gmail and 2 other pop mail servers, and 2 isp mail servers.
All work great and Avast scans all incoming (and outgoing) email. Maybe my TB proxy setting is redundant (I'll check that out), but I can see that all email is getting scanned as it is.

Basic email troubleshooting starts by checking these 3 settings areas:
1.) server and connection settings in email program (i.e. Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook Express (eww), etc.)
2.) firewall settings and permissions
3.) connection and mail settings in A/V program (avast!,, naturally)

~Acco~

ps: disregard the info in my sig at present, it's outdated and can't be updated until I get at least 20 posts. Almost there,,,
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »
avast has not got a clue which pop mail client is used - it does not need to know or care - avast does not work with the clients it detects the absolutely standard POP & SMTP accesses that every POP mail client in existence have to use.

We need more information from Dawn on which Webmail is being downloaded and what firewall us being used.  We should also ask if regular POP accounts are used as well.  Can you access the account on the Webmail service via the Web?

Which avast providers do you have running (Standard Shield, Internet Mail provider, Webshield) etc?   

If Dawn is using the Thunderbird Webmail extensions, YPops or FreePops as a Web to POP converter then they all make http calls to the Webmail service (Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail) to get the mail as http pages and then convert it to a POP stream.   In every case these converters act as a localhost proxy and the delivery of the POP mail to Thunderbird via the proxy is not scanned by avast in avast's default configuration.

If the Webmail access is on a paid for Webmail service (for example Hotmail Plus or Yahoo Plus) using the real POP & SMTP servers they provide then we will need to know the POP and SMTP ports set up in Thunderbird and whether secure connection is specified for those ports.   

sded

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:42:40 AM »
Alan.
Take a look at the Mozilla Thunderbird extensions we are discussing at http://webmail.mozdev.org/whatsnew.html for the standard free email services like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and a few others.  If she is using one of those services, seems very simple.  The extensions support a wizard that adds these webmails to the standard Thunderbird setup, and require no further action.  At least the gmail one already uses port 110 of localhost as the proxy port, and can be intercepted by avast! with no other changes except making sure you uncheck the "ignore local connections" in the redirection as in your referenced post.  I verified that the emails were being scanned in avast!, but didn't try to set up smtp, since I don't scan separately SSL email going out and separately being scanned by gmail.   Haven't heard yet if she wants to scan an arbitrary webmail, which is a whole different issue.   

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:59:45 AM »
At least the gmail one already uses port 110 of localhost as the proxy port, and can be intercepted by avast! with no other changes except making sure you uncheck the "ignore local connections" in the redirection as in your referenced post.

Your reference to an earlier posting is quite correct.  It is, I think you will agree, completely in keeping with my comment earlier that avast, in its default configuration, does not scan the mail stream - but it is very easy to have avast do so.

I am very familiar with the Thunderbird extensions and their working - I test all of (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo) them daily on multiple accounts.  I am quite active in the forum for them and regularly work with the developer of the extensions to try to assist in resolving issues.

As you say, if she is using them the issue should be relatively simple but I made reference to other options that may apply.  We really need more from Dawn to assist with her problem. 

mjnelson99

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »
I don't think it is Avast that is the problem. I cannot get the Yahoo extension to work in Thunderbird either. I tried both port 110 and 111. I may try higher - like 2000 in a minute.

I was using YPops until it quit being updated. On the YPops forum they do say it is going to be updated in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, that will continue to be updated since it appears that Yahoo intentionally changes their settings to foul up this kind of program.
Mary

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:52 AM »
mjnelson99,

if YPops is still running on your system then it will most definitely conflict with the default configuration of the Thunderbird Webmail extensions.

This is not really the place to offer you assistance with the Webmail extensions but if you would like more help we can take it offline from this forum.