Author Topic: Version 4-1-389 makes my system unstable  (Read 26014 times)

parrish

Re:Version 4-1-389 makes my system unstable
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 06:35:23 AM »
previously:
>>    The ver_2 file also fixed my problem: which was hanging at the "Checking for latest version of Windows Update software" on the Windows Update web site.  
    Only one system had this problem:  an AMD K6-300 running WinME.  No other systems running WinME or WinXP had this problem with the latest AVAST update.<<

update:
     Found a second system with the EXACT same problem:  an AMD K6-2 500 running WinME.  The ver_2 file also fixes the problem on this system; but AVAST automatically re-runs setup to replace this file with the original bad version upon reboot.  Funny, on the AMD K6 300 system, AVAST does not seem to notice the ver_2 file and does not re-run setup to try to replace it.  Wonder why?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2004, 01:08:23 PM »
I would really like to know what is the difference between the systems having the problems and the systems that work OK...
According to the number of post, it seems not to be connected to hardware configuration. Maybe a specific software or driver installed? ???

Only way I could get it to work was to disable the Standard Shield, and that only worked sporatically.

Oh, what exactly do you mean, sporadically? If you stop the Standard Shield and confirm to persist the changes, it really should help. If it doesn't, then the problem is somewhere else...

P.S. why doesn't avast have a MD5 signature, every time I scan for authentic MD5 sigs, it says that  Avast doesn't exist.

What kind of MD5 sig?

Funny, on the AMD K6 300 system, AVAST does not seem to notice the ver_2 file and does not re-run setup to try to replace it.  Wonder why?

Maybe a different setting of updating / connections? I believe setup performs the "fixing" when it tries to detect available new updates (I can be wrong, though).

bearmstead

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2004, 02:30:53 PM »
Upon further testing, disabling the standard shield will always allow the 'Hp Photosmart Printing' program to run. An MD5 signature is a program's fingerprint that Kerio Firewall identifies as a legitimate program. When you scan the MD5's, kerio will let you know if their's an unidentified program, or change to a legitimate program. I've loved Avast since I put it on & feel secure that they will fix this bug.

jmrc94

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2004, 03:39:49 PM »
Hi

Here are the softwares run most of the time:

a) WinME + IE6sp1 + OutLookExpress 6sp1
b) Avant Browser 9.02
c) ZoneAlarm Free version 4.5.594.000

The Win98 system I mentionned earlier with same issues has more or less the same software installed, but does not have Avant Browser (only IE6Sp1).

Note: Avast tries to remove the new awlmon9x.dll (ver_2) with original one each time I connect to Internet. It will place a .TMP file in Avast4 directory and use it to replace ver_2. So if I replace the .TMP with the ver_2 build, ver_2 will be reused on next boot!

I have instructed my friends running W9x not to accept Avast program update until this issue is resolved. Virus DB update is ok though.

magicjo

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2004, 07:21:04 PM »
HI

I have the same problem with W98SE.
IE and Netscape freeze with new avast vers. Disabling KERIO doesn't improve the situation. The only way to access internet is to disable avast !

JOJO  :-\

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2004, 07:42:25 PM »
Magicjo, Igor will not return untill Monday please be patient untill then
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

parrish

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2004, 09:55:56 PM »
I would really like to know what is the difference between the systems having the problems and the systems that work OK...
According to the number of post, it seems not to be connected to hardware configuration. Maybe a specific software or driver installed? ???

No problems on Thinkpad A20m with Celeron 550 running WinME & WinXP Pro.  
     Exact same problem on AMD K6 300 and AMD K6-2 500 systems, both running WinME.  Only problem I find is hanging during "Checking for latest Windows Update software" at Windows Update web site.  Again, the ver_2 file you provided fixes the problem on both systems.
     Running nearly identical software on all systems.  Only other "active" software is latest version of Zonealarm.  Tested shutting down Zonealarm, did not make any difference.  No similar hardware between the AMD 300 vs 500 systems (hardware quite different in fact).  Hope this additional info was of some help.

PlatinumCS

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2004, 11:01:22 PM »
I've already posted this on another thread, but this one seems more in line with my exact problem. So...

I am having trouble since the update too. Using Win98-SE.

I've reinstalled my system twice and each time after installing the new version of Avast4Home (4.1.389) My system is extremely buggy.

For example:

- I cannot change my video resolutions, the computer locks up.
  -  When I try to change my video settings I get a system lockup with an error window refering to an error in ?RUNDLL.DLL?  Requires a reboot and the video size and resolution are unchanged.
- Various program just lockup.
- Internet Explorer locks the system up on some pages. (Windows update)
- Shutting down Windows no longer works, it locks and I have to hit the power. Every time I turn it back on, it does a system scan to make sure all is well.

When I get any other error messages they are primarily involving DDHELP.EXE.

I have been a user of Avast for over a year and have recommended it to many friends and customers. But if this problem is not identified and corrected, I will remove Avast from my "Recommended Software" website and find a new provider.

Any answers would be appreciated here guys.

Thanks in advance,

doggeral

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2004, 03:06:10 AM »
P.S. why doesn't avast have a MD5 signature, every time I scan for authentic MD5 sigs, it says that  Avast doesn't exist.

Not much to contribute, but just a note.  This is more of a Kerio Problem than an avast problem.  I think the question that was being asked about "what kind of md5" related more to how it is generated.  Kerio Generates and Matches them internally.  Avast does not have a hand in that.  Avast maybe blocking access from kerio with the way it generates its MD5 when it tries to identify the program, which maybe intentional to enhance virus protection.

LindaE

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2004, 05:32:17 AM »
This version makes my system unstable too. I am running win 98se. I have used Avast Pro for over a year and it worked very well. As soon as the update was completed avast wouldn't load at start up. It just hung. When I pressed ctrl/alt/del it was hung on ASHSERV. I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. I then installed the home version instead of the pro version. Same problem. I have had to uninstall it all together. I used to love that programme.

jmrc94

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2004, 04:04:08 PM »
Note that it is possible to run the previous build of Avast (4.1.357 dated 27/02/2004), using Virus DB automatic Update but disabling automatic program updates until the problem is solved i a new build.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2004, 05:34:16 PM »
Note that it is possible to run the previous build of Avast (4.1.357 dated 27/02/2004), using Virus DB automatic Update but disabling automatic program updates until the problem is solved i a new build.

Just a note, you must uninstall the 4.1.389 version first.
Install the 4.1.357 (off-line)

My Windows98 is working well with the new version  8)
The best things in life are free.

dgp

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2004, 11:07:32 PM »
I have installed  on two new pcs with identical hardware both running XP SP1.  One works fine, the other keeps asking me to restart my PC, so I've uninstalled.  The only difference between the two is that on on one I installed MS Office after Avast and the other before.  The one where I installed Office after Avast is the one where I have no problems.

Hope you can sort out, as my previous anti-virus Viruscan knocked out the microphone.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »
Kept asking for reboot? Do you still have the file <avast>\setup\setup.log? That would tell us everything...

thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

beck

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2004, 07:54:30 AM »
How/where do I get the old version of avast?