Author Topic: XP Machine locked and crashed - Avast not working  (Read 3911 times)

dford3772

XP Machine locked and crashed - Avast not working
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »
After posting earlier about troubles with Avast finding Win32 Trojan-gen I seemed to have everything under control with David's help until last night.  I had changed my firewall from Windows firewall to PC Tools firewall and loaded MBAM to further help with malware.  Last night MBAM found Trojan FakeAlert
and since I didn't exactly know what I was doing and didn't see a quarantine I removed it.  THEN I ran DrWeb Cure and I did not disable Standard Shield.
It didn't find anything but I began having problems with my machine.  This morning it booted up but nothing will open and I had to unplug it twice because
every time I tried to shut down I got these messages:  Avast UI Control Window-End Program Avast and Avast not responding.  All frozen--unplug again.

I'm just about nuts over all this misery.  Thank God I have a second PC.  I know better than to run two AV programs and though it was said it would be OK I don't think it was.  Or do I just have an infection that has brought my machine to a standstill? 

My task manager would not open but Process Explorer would and it says CPU at 100% but could not locate culprit.  I do think Avast has become corrupted
even though I ran a scan last night with it.  The scan was interrupted with incorrect screens like it was starting over but it did finally finish and shut down OK.  Then today nothing works!  Currently I have the box unplugged which was the only way to turn it off.
Please advise,
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: XP Machine locked and crashed - Avast not working
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
Neither MBAM or DrWeb CurIt should conflict with avast, though you don't have to, I would always pause the standard shield when doing a scan with another security program. You may possibly have an infection that is attacking avast, but that isn't by any means certain.
What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

MBAM doesn't directly say Quarantine, it says Remove Selected, it removes the original but a copy is placed in quarantine.

You don't say what the file name or location is, you should be getting used to this routine interrogation ;D it helps us to help you.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
My machine simply would do nothing beyond the desktop--no task manager, no anything!  I went into Safe
Mode and restored to Nov 26 and CPU is back to normal with everything working.  The virus files are still in the chest.  I really think the CPU culprit was HPProduct Assistant which was possibly in a loop.  I have had
nothing but trouble since I installed my new printer in July because the amount of software with it should be against the law;  I simply disabled what was bugging.

I'm back to the Windows firewall on XP and the router firewall; right now I don't care because you can't check something when nothing works.  Avast seems fine.

I don't know whether I dare run an Avast scan (its in 4.8.1290) and see what happens.  It may be where it
found the trojans the other day.  What would you do?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »
To be sure you're clean, I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
The best things in life are free.

dford3772

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the help.  XP is running fine on the restore. A Complete Avast scan and SAS complete scan
shows nothing but I will do another one today.
Donna

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:58:59 PM »
XP is running fine on the restore.
Glad to know.

I will do other one today.
Good. Try MBAM.
The best things in life are free.

dford3772

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:08:54 AM »
I did just now and MBAM found another Trojan FakeAlert at this path C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\GoToAssist_chat2way__317_en.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert)   It matches no documents in Google.
Any idea what this is?  I now have two of these in quarantine on MBAM on 12-1 and 12-4.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:06:54 AM »
Any idea what, what is a) trojan fake alert or b) GoToAssist_chat2way__317_en.exe ?

a. A rogue application saying your infected when you aren't to try to extort money and or get you to visit a site where you are likely to be really infected.

b. The GoToAssist_chat2way__317_en.exe file is just a nondescript file name to make you think it is a benign or legit file. My google search on the file name matches many hits most to security relates sites.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

MBAM
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »
 :)  Hi Donna :

MBAM "Detections" are best asked about on THEIR Support Forums at
  www.malwarebytes.org/forums . It would seem the place to start would be
  their "General......." forum, though you should consider using their "Search"
  Feature . "Trojan FakeAlert" MAY be a symptom of a more serious malware
  infection .