Author Topic: Avast not letting me log into many websites  (Read 4168 times)

sharon7888

Avast not letting me log into many websites
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I had a trojan which Avast shut my computer down and then immediately when I booted up the computer  it did a scan and seemed to have cleaned it up.  But ever since I have not been able to open up many websites like facebook, my space, hotmail, gmail, and many others.  I decided to stop avast to see if I could log into any of these websites and avast stops access to all websites and any browsers.  Could someone please tell me what happened and what I should do to correct it?  I was thinking that I should just uninstall avast and then reinstall it,  but I am not sure if that is the right thing do.

Thank you

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast not letting me log into many websites
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
Hey sharon7888!

It could be be any malware that avast is not detected so I suggest you try a scan with superantispyware and mbam and see if they found something on your computer. you can also try a boot scan with avast and see if you can solve your problem through there. sens thoose site you lined up should not been stopped by avast like that so it seems like an malware to me. but i can have wrong.
good luck and writhe back if you get any problem.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

http://superantispyware.com/

Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast not letting me log into many websites
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them. Specially MBAM could help you on this.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool. This could be a good one for you.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.