Author Topic: Vista fails to boot after avast update  (Read 2824 times)

kirsti

Vista fails to boot after avast update
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
I currently use avast 4.8.1290 - professional edition and I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bits. The 21. Nov. avast wanted me to upgrade to the newest version. I clicked on the "new version available"-message and seemingly the installation went well. But when I rebooted Vista was not able to start properly. I had to run system restore to a point before the installation to fix the problem.

Today, avast want me to upgrade again. My colleague was faster than me and he upgraded first. He has an almost identical PC as mine and of course he encountered the same problem. Vista refused to start and in this case normal system restore wouldn't work. However, by choosing a system restore point made the 21. of Nov. he was finally able to start his computer.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or found a solution?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Vista fails to boot after avast update
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
Try a clean reinstall.

It would probably be best to first Download the latest Pro version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-professional.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:48:46 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »
Which is your firewall?
Other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
I use ONLINE ARMOR FREE FW which had to update its program at the same time than AVAST. I had the same problem.  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »
Online Armor Free and avast start to be somehow incompatible.
The best things in life are free.