Author Topic: v4.8.1296 (Dec 08) Internet Mail Scanning Broken?  (Read 2905 times)

madmax69

v4.8.1296 (Dec 08) Internet Mail Scanning Broken?
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »
I just updated to v4.8.1296 (Dec 08) and found that the Internet mail scanning proxy is broken. It appears to be disconnecting early on during the connection. This is affecting me with outbound SMTP and inbound POP3. I have a backup machine which I don't normally use which has v4.8.1290 which works fine with the same software combination. (Incredimail and home-brewed antispam scanner)

The workaround I used was to terminate the provider for Internet Mail - after which I can now connect, send and receive email OK.

Anyone else had these problems? I recommended a large number of my friends to change over from AVG to Avast so my phone is likely to be red hot PDQ LOL :D

XP SP2 on both machines. Plenty of free disk space and memory on both. Minimum 100mb free mem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: v4.8.1296 (Dec 08) Internet Mail Scanning Broken?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:05:57 AM »
Maybe you can add the following line to the [MailScanner] section of <avast>\data\avast4.ini:
Log=20
Then generate some traffic, simulate the problem (i.e. force the avast mail scanner to time out by sending an email with attachment) and then post here the contents of the file <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log

Details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg103474#msg103474
The best things in life are free.

madmax69

Re: v4.8.1296 (Dec 08) Internet Mail Scanning Broken?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:31:53 AM »
Okay, thanks. That was really helpful and I think I've spotted the problem by looking in the log.

Not long ago my TEMP folder was set to M:\TEMP (ramdisk) - however 2 reboots ago it was changed to C:\TEMP (hard drive). The ENV shows C:\TEMP but for some reason Avast! is still looking at the old TEMP ENV var which was probably active when it was first installed but is no longer valid. The log shows a file create error for a temporary file in M:\TEMP

User and System ENV variables for both TMP and TEMP (as shown via both Control Panel and CMD shell SET command) show both User and System set to C:\TEMP before and after the test.

Avast! perhaps doesn't seem to be querying TMP on loadup. Some people may switch their TEMP location at either bootup or logon to another drive (mine was previously set to a ramdisk to cure YouTube video playback stutter problems due to a slow hard drive)

To recap - as M: no longer exists it never gets set TEMP=M:\TEMP and is always forced to C:\TEMP by batch file at each logon using SETX.EXE - 2 reboots should have cleared the environment and, as indicated, control panel shows the master system ENV is set OK to C:\TEMP but Avast! scanner is still looking for the older M:\TEMP TEMP environment but M:\ does not exist any more.

Not sure how I persuade Avast! to re-query the ENV. I'm guessing I can set it in the INI file but its 00:31 and I have to be up at 6am so will try to check later tomorrow.

I will post the LOG file to the thread you indicated via the link

Regards and thanks again