Author Topic: Virus has killed Windows  (Read 1954 times)

Emilio2000

Virus has killed Windows
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
First, my system slowed down to a crawl.  Then Avast warned me about some suspicious files found by the heuristic method. Options were to delete or ignore.  I chose the recommended option to Ignore, but I also left the check-mark in the box to report these files to Avast.

I expected that Avast would run during the re-boot process and clean my system of viruses.  But, instead, I got completely locked out of Windows. My system just keeps rebooting.

The moment it tries to start Windows, I get an blue screen warning that "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Check for viruses/ Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF88EC528,0xC0000034,0x00000000.0x00000000)

The problem is: I can't do any of these things, because I can't even get to a command level. Even "Safe Mode" doesn't work. No matter how I try to reboot, all I get is the same blue screen, followed by an immediate automatic re-boot.

Any suggestions, other than re-installing Windows and all my programs from scratch?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog