Author Topic: Will boot scan ever work with USB keyboard?  (Read 14536 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Will boot scan ever work with USB keyboard?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
There is nothing that can be included in the avast package, aswBoot.exe is a slightly modified boot-time scanner and aswBoot.exe.sum is a file that proves authenticity of this patch.
Why not? There at least two different aswBoot.exe files that could be there in the package.
One for PS2/Serial(?) mouses and other for USB mouses... Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 03:57:57 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
Tech, this is not a completely different version (I suppose) - it's probably just a slightly updated version, and Vojtech would like to know if it improves the behavior in any way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 03:58:48 PM »
Tech, this is not a completely different version (I suppose) - it's probably just a slightly updated version, and Vojtech would like to know if it improves the behavior in any way.
I see... So, all users will receive this version in a new program update I suppose... ok.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »
This is still an issue 6 months later. It is hard to sell a customer the product if by default they cannot use the keyboard in a boot time scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 05:20:57 PM »
Yes it will and does work with USB keyboards.

avast can't change your BIOS settings, the user can (you could advise how to check it), but more importantly, the system manufacturer can set the BIOS to recognise the USB keyboard that he packages with it.

This is clearly something avast has NO control over, even if they wanted it to work, they can't change the BIOS to recognise hardware.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 03:45:59 PM »
You assume that all computers support USB keyboards in BIOS. You need to look at older machines with after market USB keyboards before stating such an obvious misrepresentation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 04:22:37 PM »
No I don't assume that, the opposite is true, even new machines don't have the usb devices enabled by default in the BIOS settings. You will also note that my comment was also related to systems where the OEM supplier supplies a usb keyboard, those are most likely to able to make those changes in the BIOS.

However, that matters not, as avast! can't change BIOS settings, that is a manual user/system builder interaction.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DaveD

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 06:37:39 AM »
No problems here. I am able to run the boot-time scan without any problems from my USB keyboard, which is of course enabled in the BIOS (usually by default).

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 06:48:53 AM »
Symantec enables USB keyboard support on older machines prior to starting pre Win scans.

Do you speak for Avast? If not, please do say it does not matter to avast, I want to make sure my business only recommends quality companies that take care of their customers.

If you do, then I will take the $8K in sales of avast products I did this year to a new antivrus company.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »
That's actually new to me... Symantec has a boot-time (i.e. native mode) scanner? Do you have any more information on that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 01:52:14 PM »
That's actually new to me... Symantec has a boot-time (i.e. native mode) scanner? Do you have any more information on that?
As far I know, the Symantec Recovery Disk (or Norton SystemWorks Premium Recovery Disk).
Now seems to be included in Ghost package too (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2005091308551462?OpenDocument&lg=en&ct=us&seg=hho&src=hot).
I've used in the past, although I cannot remember the feature to allow USB keyboards there.

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 03:33:47 PM »
It is automatic.

However, if you are using NTFS, you have to first mount the partition or did when I stopped using it about 1.5 years ago.