Author Topic: inbound and outbound insert note unchecked, still inserts  (Read 4256 times)

jeds

inbound and outbound insert note unchecked, still inserts
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:09:01 PM »
I have the box un-checked to insert note into inbound and outbound mail. The message is still inserted.

I wouldn't mind except it shows up in sent mail as attachments, .txt and .html, which some people can't open, then they ask if it is something they need to be able to open.

I can open and edit them to be blank, but that won't remove the attachments.

WinXP, AvastHome4.8, Eudora7.0, sponsored mode

onlysomeone

Re: inbound and outbound insert note unchecked, still inserts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »
did you set it in the correct provider?

you need to set it in the internet mail - provider, probably/possibly you set it in the outlook/exchange provider or viceversa...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:14:10 PM by onlysomeone »

jeds

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »
No, I was in the internet mail provider. It is also unchecked in the outlook/exchange provider.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:46:53 AM »
No, I was in the internet mail provider. It is also unchecked in the outlook/exchange provider.
And now, do the messages disappear?
The best things in life are free.

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:27:48 AM »
and did you uncheck it in all tabs? (pop, smtp, imaps, nntp,...)?

jeds

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
And now, do the messages disappear?

No, but understand that the boxes for all 4 mail protocol tabs have been un-checked for some time, so long I can't say for how long.

The problem has occurred because I just recently started sending to a network that gets the messages as attachments that they can't open, both avastinfo.txt and .html

Further, the messages appear as attachments only when the message includes (intentional) attachments.
If the message does not have intentional attachments, then it appears in the body, even though insert note into clean messages is un-checked in all mail protocols and in Outlook/Exchange inbound and outbound tabs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
If you send your email as Multi-Part, it is effectively two emails on one, a text one and an html one. Those that have an email program that can view and allow html see the html one and those that don't see the text version.

So there would be two clean not insertions, a text one and an html one, how this is achieved I don't know, but multi-part emails frequently get reported as having an attachment when in fact they don't it is the two part text/html and that would be the case even if there was no clean note inserted.

I see it on occasion if I happen to check the raw data or headers in multi-part emails.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
even though insert note into clean messages is un-checked in all mail protocols and in Outlook/Exchange inbound and outbound tabs.
This is what remains a mystery to me...
The best things in life are free.