Author Topic: Avast won't update. "Not enough storage to process this command"  (Read 17338 times)

jssoergel

Avast won't update. "Not enough storage to process this command"
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »
I got my notice that there was a updated version of avast home edition, but when I tried to update I got the message "Not Enough Storage to Process".  I've tried clearing all my temp files, uninstalled and reinstalled Avast, defraged disc, and everytime I try to update the program or the virus files I get this message.  It starts downloading and gets approx. 90% done and then the message pops up and the update aborts.  I have Windows ME, an AMD-K6 550MHz processor, 512MB of ram, Avast Home Edition 4.8.  Any ideas?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast won't update. "Not enough storage to process this command"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
How much free space do you have on the drive where your TEMP folder is located?
And, if not the same one, how much free space is there on the drive where avast! is installed?

jssoergel

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:15:14 PM »
I have just one drive and it has 12GB of free space

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »
In a thread reporting the same problem (it seems) Vlk indicates that the error is reporting insufficient RAM rather than disk space.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40650.msg340779#msg340779

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
In a just trying to reproduce the problem ...

I updated an 8 year old laptop running Windows Me to the current release of avast, it has 128Mb of memory and rather less than 2Gb of free disk space ... it updated without any problem.

lkota

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 04:39:05 AM »
I have an old laptop with Win98 ... 2 GB hard drive with hardly any files at all on it and I get the "Not enough storage to process this command" ...  It has 128.0 MB RAM

Is there a work around ... or am I out of luck?

Thanks

fearonc

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:18:47 AM »
I had similar experience.  Avast definition update gets about 90% completed when this message pops up: “Not enough storage to process command.”

Avast 4.8.1229 (Free edition)     Windows 98 SE     384 RAM (81% free)    1.55 Gb free hard drive space (~39% of drive free).  Connected through a Linksys WPC54G Wireless adaptor and a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router.

The solution for me was downloading the most recent release directly from the Avast web site: Version 4.8.1296, NOT the link to the CNET download, as that seems to be version .1229.  Updates uploaded without a problem.  Hopefully it will work for others.

lkota

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
Thanks ... but I did download directly from Avast, twice.  I uninstalled and tried again. 

Is there any work around to download the updates another way?

More information:

Laptop with Win98 ... 2 GB hard drive, System Resources 89% free. I get the following message: An error has occured ... "Not enough storage to process this command" ...  It has 128.0 MB RAM  .  HP Model x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 (Pentium 3)

I downloaded Avast directly from Avast's website, version 4.8.1229

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:04:47 PM by lkota »

Tyke

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:38:51 PM »
Just had the same problem when trying to update virus database i.e "Not enough storage to process this command" tried the uninstall -reinstall direct from avast.com as suggested above and it works fine now. Make sure you do the download from the options at the very bottom of the page with the language choices. This gives you the latest version which seem to work for me OK now. I'm on Windows 98SE with 384 RAM with 37% system resources free and approx 10 Gig HDD space.
The version you are looking for is 4.8.1296
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:50:34 PM by Tyke »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:18:22 AM »
Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

spookmeister

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 02:44:21 AM »
The solution for me was downloading the most recent release directly from the Avast web site: Version 4.8.1296, NOT the link to the CNET download, as that seems to be version .1229.  Updates uploaded without a problem.  Hopefully it will work for others.

Thank you fearonc, that did it for me.  On the avast website right under the "download.com" link there are links for the other languages.  I just downloaded the english one and double clicked it and viola it updated my version and now it updates. 

Hope this helps the rest, I know it helped me. 
 ;D