Author Topic: AVAST 4.8 Home Edition vs Grand Theft Auto 4 "PC" - [SOLVED]  (Read 9072 times)

Gomer_Pyle

Re: AVAST 4.8 Home Edition vs Grand Theft Auto 4 "PC"
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
Solved!

Atleast i think it was that driver. But I did a complete reinstall of my PC last night. And so far I got most standard programs i use up and running and avast. Putting the GTA4 disc in did not crash me now.

Thanks for your help even if it was not your product in the first place...

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: AVAST 4.8 Home Edition vs Grand Theft Auto 4 "PC" - [SOLVED]
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »
Anyway, I'd like to know what version of Sony DVD Handycam software you installed so I can test it on my computer to be sure this driver doesn't work well with our drivers - and I could make a workaround for this situation with other 3rd party drivers. I've found Vista version of this software on Sony website, but according to sonypvl2.sys timestamp (2003) I'm not sure you really used this version. Is it possible to upload installation package on our ftp?

Thanks!

Gomer_Pyle

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »
Hi!

I googled for "Sony DVD203e driver vista" and the result showed me a link that said it was compatible with vista. When i ran the install i ran the installer in xp compability mode. Which was probably a bad idea. hehe

I have uploaded it as a zip file named dvd_usbdrven.zip

I didnt even realize i had that driver installed anymore. Had given up finding a vista driver for my cam.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »
Running the latest avast! on Vista x64 with all drivers fully updated and i noticed no incompatibilities with Gta IV. The game starts just fine. However this is the most shittiest game release i have ever come across in my life. It runs terrible on pc's, all sorts of problems and glitches. Even Crysis ran better than this when it came out. Being a huge fan of the Gta series i was really looking forward to this game but in the state it is now it's totally unplayable for me and i already returned the game to my store. I am truly disappointed with Rockstar Games and i'll probably never buy anything from them again.

See what Hitler says about the game.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9S_7FfJhsY

Gomer_Pyle

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »
Hehe!

My game has always ran like a charm on max graphics settings. I only had this driver issue "pk" was so kind to spot for me.

But then again I got close to a next gen pc. :D hehe

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
Hehe!

My game has always ran like a charm on max graphics settings. I only had this driver issue "pk" was so kind to spot for me.

But then again I got close to a next gen pc. :D hehe

What are you system specs ??

Gomer_Pyle

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 03:54:40 PM »
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Q9450, 2666 MHz
MB: Asus Maximus Formula
Memory: 3328 Mb DDR2 Memory (Vista 32 cant handle more)
GFX Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768 Mb
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi
HDD: WD Raptor X 150GB

Well It is not entirely next gen but runs GTA4 smooth on max resulution and gfx settings.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »
Sorry then but i can't believe you on that since Gta IV needs at least 1 GB of graphic memory to run on those max settings not to mention something faster than an 8800gtx. Can you post a screenshot of the in-game benchmark at least ?

EDIT: Just in case someone that doesn't know the game thinks i am talking nonsense here are a few partial quotes from a review they did on bit-tech.net:

We ran the game first on a PC that packed 3 GB of DDR2 memory, a Core 2 Extreme X6800 overclocked to 2.99GHz and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 280 and we still struggled to get above even 16 frames a second on the highest settings the game would allow. Even scaling back to only use half the resources and have medium texture detail only edged out at around 20 fps.

Wondering if it might be a problem with the system we moved to an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 and an GeForce GTX 260 (216) with 4GB of DDR2 memory. The previous setup had been run Vista 32-bit while this new one ran Vista 64-bit. The results however were largely the same, if not worse. To get a playable and stable framerate we had to drop the graphics right down to Low while Harry scratched his head and wondered why a £1,000 gaming PC couldn’t compete on the same ground as a £200 console. Hmm.

Thus, in order to do our graphics testing we had to shift to a new system to make sure we could get access to the maximum possible graphics. We used one of our beefiest machines – Vista 64-bit, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, a QX6850 at 3GHz and an ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 with 2GB of video memory (although the game only recognised 1GB, because the frame buffers are mirrored). Unfortunately, even with the high end hardware we were unable to max out the settings totally – on a system that literally has ten times the graphics power of an Xbox 360. With textures set to High we were still struggling to see a solid 30 fps like we hoped.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/12/04/grand-theft-auto-iv-pc/1
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:46:32 PM by darth_mikey »

Gomer_Pyle

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »
Here is my benchmark. As you can see I run everything on highest. Except from ViewDistance which do absolutely nothing different whatever setting you keep it. So I took 2 benchmark tests. 1st is with View Distance set to what I use. And what I can have to max viewdistance. Mine is 27 since I am using all rest on highest. Barely difference. It is smooth and very nice looking.

But I do not really see why we are discussing this in Avast forums to be honest.

I like the game and it runs sweet. I am happy atleast.

Just so it is mentioned. To max out ViewDistance you will need not only 2 gfx cards with between 2-3gb of memory. But I do not see the point since you can hardly see any difference what so ever. 

Statistics
Average FPS: 38.39
Duration: 37.17 sec
CPU Usage: 71%
System memory usage: 76%
Video memory usage: 98%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 12
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Høyttalere (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9450  @ 2.66GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

Statistics
Average FPS: 38.94
Duration: 37.21 sec
CPU Usage: 72%
System memory usage: 76%
Video memory usage: 100%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 27
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Høyttalere (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9450  @ 2.66GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

PS: I'll leave it with this as it will prob. end in an overheated discussion which I do not want.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
You were the one that bragged with having a "next-gen" pc and having everything maxed out not me.

But as you admit yourself you're not quite "maxed out" are you (and neither is you pc next generation btw). ;) That's all i wanted to know.
But i don't really want to think about this game anymore, i've spent far too much time on this one.