Author Topic: Webshield and Download Managers question  (Read 9330 times)

Diazruanova

Webshield and Download Managers question
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
Hi,

I am kind of new to avast! and was wondering if there is any advantage to have enabled Webshield if all my downloads are done with FireFox, FlashGot and Free Download Manager?

Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Webshield and Download Managers question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
In  a word yes, as Avast scans the web pages as they are downloaded to your temp files but before they reach there.  Notice I said web pages  and the type of download manager you use for this function is immaterial as it is either IE, FF or some flavour of the two.  You can get Avast to scan the files after download  

Diazruanova

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:53 AM »
In  a word yes, as Avast scans the web pages as they are downloaded to your temp files but before they reach there.  Notice I said web pages  and the type of download manager you use for this function is immaterial as it is either IE, FF or some flavour of the two.  You can get Avast to scan the files after download  

Ok, so anything that appears on my browser from the internet, any web site is scanned by "Web Shield" and the files downloaded by Free Download Manager are scanned once they hit my disk by "Standard Shield" is that what you are saying by You can get avast to scan the files after download ?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »
Ok, so anything that appears on my browser from the internet, any web site is scanned by "Web Shield"
correct

I am not sure how it works with your download manager but with mine (leechget) I instruct the download manager to pass the downloaded file to Avast for scanning before anything else

sded

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
Depends on whether you are downloading with ftp or http.  Either will be scanned by avast! Standard Shield when you try to open or store the downloaded file.  In addition Web Shield will scan files downloaded via http as they are downloaded.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:33:36 AM by sded »

Diazruanova

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 12:42:54 AM »
Thanks,

I found an option on Free Download Manager that uses  avast´s ashQuick.exe to intercept and scan the downloaded files.

Thanks again guys  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:00:08 AM »
In addition Web Shield will scan files downloaded via http as they are downloaded.
Just take note that download managers divide the file to do their job. WebShield could just pass (not detect) a malware that was "divided" into different fragments while being downloaded.
The best things in life are free.

Diazruanova

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:14:03 AM »
In addition Web Shield will scan files downloaded via http as they are downloaded.
Just take note that download managers divide the file to do their job. WebShield could just pass (not detect) a malware that was "divided" into different fragments while being downloaded.

Oh, Ok thanks. I almost always download from secure sites and basically updates or upgrades to programs I already have installed. and please one last question if I may: I already whitelisted several URL´s on the "Exceptions" tab (Web Shield) so they supposedly won´t be scanned, but every time I visit one of those sites, the avast sys tray icon turns around telling me that it is scanning the web site despite being whitelisted, is this a normal beavior?

sded

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »
Even if the virus is divided into segments for the download, shouldn't the webshield scan it on assembly, but before you try to open it?  Or does it default to Standard Shield when the DM stores it/creates a new file?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:42:13 AM by sded »

sded

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:46 AM »
Take a look under On Access Protection Control/Webshield and make sure that is what is happening.

donoscar

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:40:38 AM »
I download files from http with Internet Download Manager, always using four segments. Even when the Web Shield is active with the option "Scan all files" enabled, the icon on the bar does not spin, so I suppose avast! is not working.

sded

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 02:05:32 AM »
What I observe:  With either a browser or download manager, the "last scanned" doesn't show the file in Web Shield, but does in Standard Shield.  Web Shield just shows the last scanned web page, not last scanned file.  But the "detailed info" for web shield does show it being scanned with a browser, but not if you use a DM.  So with a browser, Web Shield is effective, and the file is scanned again with Standard Shield after the download.  With a Download Manager, the scanning occurs only in Standard Shield after the download is complete.  Maybe because no mime type for the pieces ???
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:38:24 AM by sded »

bankvip

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
HI!~

sded

I am a chinese user , and  I have  some Questions  ,  so can you help me? and my EMAIL: seeu#msn.cn($=@)

sded

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 04:14:49 AM »
bankvip, go ahead and start a new thread here and we can all help you.  :)

Mzsakura

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 04:27:19 AM »
Hi all, i'm new here. I need your kindly help to solve my problem. I gt Dell Inspiron 1420 Notebook, i cannot restore factory default image to system(Access denied/Tools/dp.sc) Been tried with F8 but inside Advanced Boots Setting don't have for repair your computer. Inside only have safe mode, n etc. SO, any idea how to solve this problem? Thank you for your attention.

Ms888