Author Topic: Virus in BSPlayer ?  (Read 48763 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Virus in BSPlayer ?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
I don't see a problem here Frank. There is an option to not install BS.Player ControlBar ... Even if you do i still don't consider it adware. 

Nothing to do with you or me. Softpedia marks it adware because "it offers to install a third-party application"; BSPlayer says there's no adware bundled with the player.

I thought avast! might be detecting the toolbar add-on, which is why I mentioned it. If you object to the adware description, you'll really need to take it up with Softpedia, or ask BSPlayer to clarify whether they mean there is no adware bundled with the player, or there is adware bundled with the player, but it's not a mandatory install.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
I know i know, i just hate how everything is "adware" for them.
They had CCleaner listed as adware aswell Frank, apparently anything that includes a toolbar(even if you can opt-out in the installation) is considered adware by them. It's just not fair IMHO. By that logic Nero and a alot of other good and trusted programs are also adware. What a load of crap.

EDIT: Fixed a typo ...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:29:31 PM by darth_mikey »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Nero-8.shtml

Reasons why this program is marked as adware:

· Adware included ... Ask Toolbar... However you can uncheck this at installation.
· The software is trying to change your Default Search Engine.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Comodo-Personal-Firewall.shtml

· (1) Attempts to change the homepage for web browsers installed on the system |
· (2) Attempts to change the default search engine for web browsers installed on the system |
· (3) Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Spyware-Terminator.shtml

· ADWARE INCLUDED - you can, however, UNCHECK that ADWARE at installation: Web Security Guard Toolbar

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/IE7pro.shtml

· The software is trying to change your default homepage. However, you can uncheck this option during the program's installation process.

http://forum.piriform.com/lofiversion/index.php/t4157.html

See what i mean ?

EDIT: Added a few more examples ...

EDIT2: Sorry for hijacking your thread Mr_llama but i had to get this off my chest, been bothering me for a long time now. Wonder how many regular users steered clear of the above programs because they saw them listed as adware on the softpedia page.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:10:13 PM by darth_mikey »

Avastgc

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:07 AM »
I just got an account on avast, and here I see something about this virus TODAY. It seems like you can get this thing from more than what i got it from... I got it from a popup on myspace.com!

This sucks, right now Ive got very low protection, my system restore is corrupt and my firewall settings have been remotely tampered with. I was attacked by this thing you are talking about but was also attacked by another thing that was like AIDS to my computer called "WIN32.Spybot.Worm" that my norton antivirus decided to just remove repetitively.

This piece of trash kept coming back like fleas on my dog, and went straight to c:\ProgramFiles\Symantec\ and got blocked by norton right there first time and killed. an hour later it showed its ugly face again and took a different approach which did damage...
c:\WINDOWS\system32\systemrestore_settings\I01779G3%4692 and did something to that. now I cant open system restore!

Jtaylor83

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 07:39:52 AM »
Please post a new topic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
This piece of trash kept coming back like fleas on my dog, and went straight to c:\ProgramFiles\Symantec\ and got blocked by norton right there first time and killed. an hour later it showed its ugly face again and took a different approach which did damage..
1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.