Author Topic: Avast, free edition: first system scan interrupted!  (Read 3029 times)

Avalben

Avast, free edition: first system scan interrupted!
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:24:02 AM »
Dear Avast friends,

I have installed the free version of Avast on my Flybook but have inadvertently interrupted the first sytem scan soon after intallation! :-[ Now on restarting the Flybook it appears to be blocked soon after the bios rooutines are run. What am I to do to restablisk the correct functioning of my Flybook?

Luigi Benelli
Florence
Italy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast, free edition: first system scan interrupted!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 01:18:28 AM »
Well avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection.

So are you saying avast detects this as infected ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Avalben

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
Well avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection.

So are you saying avast detects this as infected ?
No, it is not that! Fact is that soon after installation Avast (as a lot of other products) needs  a system restart and at the restart it launches automatically the first complete  system scan: well I have inadvertently interrupted the run of this scan fisrt system scan and switched off my Flybook. Well on switching my Flybook on again it appears to stop soon after the initial memory test during bios execution as if the MBR had been altered and could not now launch the regular windows xp execution.

Regards
Luigi 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
Well the boot-time scan after installation and reboot, before windows starts should only run once (unless you schedule it again). You can interrupt/stop it using the Esc key, but even switching off your flybook shouldn't have any impact and as far as I'm aware avast doesn't alter the MBR under any circumstances.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This could cause conflict between the old and new and that conflict could have a symptom like this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security