Author Topic: unable to update  (Read 4849 times)

jmljester

unable to update
« on: April 24, 2004, 04:43:28 AM »
Everytime I try to update it keeps telling me
error: cannot connect to server

server download3.avast.com(unknown 80) is down
- the server is inaccessible because of a network error or maintenance
- your HTTP proxy settings are in correct
- your network settings are incorrect
- your firewall isn't set to full internet access for program "avast.setup"

all of this occurred when it asked me if I wanted to allow avast setup to access the internet and I clicked on no.  I also told it remember my answer. Now I can't figure out how to allow the avast setup to access the internet.

This may sound silly, but I really need help figuring this out.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:unable to update
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 05:33:02 AM »
Now I can't figure out how to allow the avast setup to access the internet.

What firewall are you using?
I suppose that if you show the program list that can access the Internet, you can 'delete' or 'remove' the program from that list and try to update again... The firewall will alert you it's trying to access the Internet again (I suppose  :-\).
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 06:17:40 AM »
jml,

What has happened, it this.  Your firewall was asking for permission to connect the program (Avast) to the internet.

Since you said NO, it dropped the attempt, but you made it worse by telling it to remember you answer.  Had you not done this, the next time the program attempted to access, the "popup" would appear and you could have said yes.

Now you will need to access the firewall's Applications or Programs menu, and find out how to "release" Avast.  Usually highlighting the program you want to change, and right clicking on it should show the options.

If you tell us here which firewall you have, one of us should be familiar with it and can give you step by step instructions.

Techie

jmljester

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 06:25:09 AM »
 thanks for your response guys.  I am using Zone Alarm.  Shortly after I posted this question I decided to check out my firewall and sure enough that was the problem.  I tried to figure out how to change the settings so I could access the setup, but was unable to do so.  I ended up just uninstalling the firewall and then installing it again.  Since I did that I was able to update and everything seems to be back on track.  I am just learning how to manuever in the various programs, so sometimes I have to take the long way around things.  I am getting the hang of most things, and will use this as a learning experience.  Again thanks for your replies.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 06:35:46 AM »
jm

You should have come back and asked.  ZA is so simple to change.  Uninstalling was not necessary.

Next time:
Restore ZA control panel and go into Program Control
Put your cursor under Access or Server (depending on which one you are changing) on the line of the program you are changing and LEFT click.  An option box appears with your choices.  Choose one and "presto"!

Good luck
Techie
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 06:36:34 AM by Techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 04:22:18 PM »
I tried to figure out how to change the settings so I could access the setup, but was unable to do so.

Right click ZA icon on system tray.
Choose 'Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center'
Click on the word 'Program Control' at left.
Choose tab 'Programs' (top right side)
Click on avast.setup program
On column 'Access', left click the check mark or the 'x'.
You can configure: Allow, Block and Ask.
Choose Allow.
Everything will work then...  8)
The best things in life are free.