Author Topic: Avast for Mac Update....When? I'm Tired of Holding My Breath.  (Read 6265 times)

heironymus

Avast for Mac Update....When? I'm Tired of Holding My Breath.
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
As an Avast for Mac user for the past year, and still waiting for an updated, new and improved version. I get the feeling that Avast for Mac is ALWIL's unloved and abandoned bastard child. Having paid for a three year license, I now feel that I've been badly shortchanged.
Shame on you, ALWIL, for treating your Mac-using customers so shabbily! I'll bet you don't treat your PC using customers so poorly. No doubt you lavish much time, effort and funds on catering to their anti-virus needs.
I feel like crying. :'(  Maybe you could send me a few  cases of good Czech pilsner.....that would cheer me up! :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:03:18 PM by Heironymus »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast for Mac Update....When? I'm Tired of Holding My Breath.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »
Please be patient! Zilog explained the long wait in the other thread "a long time ago" so go read his response there
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
As an Avast for Mac user for the past year, and still waiting for an updated, new and improved version. I get the feeling that Avast for Mac is ALWIL's unloved and abandoned bastard child. Having paid for a three year license, I now feel that I've been badly shortchanged.
Shame on you, ALWIL, for treating your Mac-using customers so shabbily! I'll bet you don't treat your PC using customers so poorly. No doubt you lavish much time, effort and funds on catering to their anti-virus needs.
I feel like crying. :'(  Maybe you could send me a few  cases of good Czech pilsner.....that would cheer me up! :D

Hallo,
it's not unloved bastard child, it's just a child that was born by an aged mother using caesaeran section... which had to undergo many surgical (even exactly, verbatim, see below :) help to breathe and live. i was trying hard to get the engine for the next version into 100% condition for those xmas, but i have faced some serious hardware problems last days :(.

http://i35.tinypic.com/10z605t.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zy7k77.jpg

It's pretty hard to solder Apple's boards, 150W soldering iron was almost insufficient for this job. But well, finally, all 29 capacitors were replaced, and that strange non-determionistic behavior of our G5 disappeared. :)

regards,
pc

[tests of the latest engine-candidate are running right now]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:22:58 AM by zilog »
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »
update #1 - depack test passed, for both x86 and ppc builds
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)