Author Topic: ils.dll => false positive?  (Read 44563 times)

safesite

Re: ils.dll => false positive?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »
I had the same issue with the ils.dll reporting in AVAST today. I deleted, sent the file to AVAST and ran a scheduled bootscan. Nothing bad found in that one.

At reboot I check for the ils.dll file in system32 and it's still there. Scan that one with AVAST and nothing comes up.

Okay, so what's the story??? Do we leave this file alone? Is it legit? Someone posted that it's bad, sending unauthorized messages in Messenger. I have blocked Messenger in ZoneAlarm and get no report from ZoneAlarm that this file is trying to access Messenger.

Some other people said that it's a false positive.

Now, what are we doing? Does it have to go or can it stay? Is it good or is it bad? Can we get a clear cut answer on this from someone who is into this and can substantiate their claim as well, possibly with links?

I'd like to know a 100% if I am safe or not.

Thnxs!

AvastFanCS

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 06:11:30 PM »
I had the same message today, and ignored it.

It is a false positive indeed. That means, it has no virus at all.
The file belongs to the NetMeeting product which is part of Windows.

If you don't use NetMeeting, it doesn't matter if you kill the file. But you can keep it anyway, the ALWIL team fixed their virus database so this file isn't reported malicious in the future.

Simply update your virus database and this problem is gone....

They are doing a really good job at ALWIL.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 07:39:14 PM »
Ensure that you have the latest VPS update, 081215-1, which has corrected this detection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
Same here following on from issues yesterday. I'm working with a few different computers and working updates with Windows. Im currently posting from what will be the primary port of my intended SOHO network. At the moment I can shift amongst the PCs with removable wireless plug using each as a standalone. Ran boot time scan on this PC after receiving ils.dll message during an intial scan. Then GUI mode scan next and nothing suspect comes up subsequent to initial ils.dll message. Im stepping back a bit now. I think juggling the computers and Windows and antivirus is not going to help if there is current virus threat, so need to reset my base...
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

safesite

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 08:30:31 PM »
I had the same message today, and ignored it.

It is a false positive indeed. That means, it has no virus at all.
The file belongs to the NetMeeting product which is part of Windows.

If you don't use NetMeeting, it doesn't matter if you kill the file. But you can keep it anyway, the ALWIL team fixed their virus database so this file isn't reported malicious in the future.

Simply update your virus database and this problem is gone....

They are doing a really good job at ALWIL.  :)

Okay, so it's safe and it can stay. We say it's a false positive. Don't get the report of a virus anymore and have the latest VPS update file so I assume it's all good now.

Anyhow ALWIL do me a favor and don't repeat scaring the sh.. out of me will ya...  :o

Ta...

con spirit sea

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 06:28:59 AM »
Not quite a fp. Why does microlimp need to run 'chat' software as a hidden system service? Avast is correct to show this as a warning: The OS is behaving like a virus.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 07:31:15 AM »
I think not quite so black and white. But I've messed a bit by adding my own changes after good advice "if it aint broke dont fix it". I can system restore if I want but I might play it out as I will reload the OS anyway. I've reset the security as it was for now and backed up data to removable drive. And I still have another freshly loaded PC with same issue which I havent made it back to as yet (since before I started on the webforum). Watching with interest.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »
Why does microlimp need to run 'chat' software as a hidden system service?
From which application is this dll?
The best things in life are free.

Wes182

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »
hi i've already updated my VPS but i still get the warning from a fresh boot. should i just choose to ignore the file?

or the update should've fix it? but why am i still getting the warning?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »
hi i've already updated my VPS but i still get the warning from a fresh boot. should i just choose to ignore the file?
Sure, ignore that file, right now a false positive.
Other users are experiencing the same and the update seems not to work ???

Until there, as a workaround, disable rootkit scanning in the Trobleshooting tab of program settings.

Wes182

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
but in "about avast" it shows my file version is 081215-0 and in update it says already updated to 081215-1.

is it the same to you guys?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
but in "about avast" it shows my file version is 081215-0 and in update it says already updated to 081215-1.

is it the same to you guys?
I have only -1 update both while updating (report) and the about dialog...
Try again? Boot? ???

Wes182

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »
its -1 now did a repair on the uninstaller  ;D

CharleyO

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster