Author Topic: Avast in pairs with ?  (Read 4639 times)

gery

Avast in pairs with ?
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
Hi !
I just wanted to know your set up . I have AVAST Home and Comodo FW. I do scan with SAS once in a while
Do i need anything else?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast in pairs with ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
I'll add MBAM for on-demand scan also.
Which browser do you use?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:05:47 PM »
Prevention is better than cure. My set up is in my sig. You might choose to add a hosts file, and/or SpywareBlaster, by Javacool. Noscript is a very useful extension for the Firefox browser, and something to help monitor that all your software (Java, Adobe etc) is up to date.
MBAM is also a very good anti malware.
Basically what you have is quite adequate, it would be wise to just try and plug whatever holes remain.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

gery

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:48:54 PM »
Firefox for browsing and SAS for additional scans  and i have heard and seen that MBAM has a pack of FP so i have decided to only keep SAS

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:21 PM »
Hi gery,

What about DrWebCureIt to be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/launch.exe
It is free, you can update it to the latest version, just put it on the desktop and do a scan.
It is non-resident, so can be used smoothly next to your resident version of avast.
I also like their pre-link browser checker for Firefox to check on the occasional link before you decide to go there to see it is clean. The link is then scanned in real time against their av scanning servers.
Next to avast I like this Petersburg product very much - "sprytny" (Polish for clever), download the linkchecker for Firefox: http://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/938
You want to visit a web-page but are not sure there are no viruses there. Right-click the link you want to visit. In the opened contextual menu select “Scan with Dr.Web”. Wait for the check result,

polonus

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:58:26 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

gery

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:45 PM »
Thanks Polonus i already have and use Dr Web and i like it a lot .Link scanner? i will check

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »
Firefox for browsing and SAS for additional scans  and i have heard and seen that MBAM has a pack of FP so i have decided to only keep SAS

That hasn't been my experience, 'a pack of FPs' I have had a minor FP once and I emailed and reported it on their forums and it was resolved very quickly. All security applications suffer from FPs to some degree (a fact of life) but for the most part MBAM is a very good application.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 12:01:42 AM »
Hi gery,

I can second what DavidR has to say about MBAM. It is one of the better scanners for the purpose it was developed for finding malware. And for the accidental FP found, it is so easy to exclude, so the next scan won't bother you for it,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
i have heard and seen that MBAM has a pack of FP so i have decided to only keep SAS
That sure hasn't been my experience with MBAM.  Very few false positives and very quick to act upon those that do occur.  By no means would I label MBAM as "a pack of FP".  It is my number one on-demand scanner.  I see it used by a great many security forums for cleaning infected computers.

As for your original question, you could add a HIPS like DefenseWall or GeSWall to really tighten up the overall security.  Since I added GeSWall I surf the net with confidence.  I still believe in being vigilant and not doing anything stupid, but it's an added relief to have a solid layer of intrusion protection watching my back.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Concur re: MBAM. Great program. Haven't seen a FP yet.
They almost all have them, occasionally. Either that or they don't detect much.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »
When I get a false positive in the past, I've mailed the support and it was correctly promptly ;)
The best things in life are free.

gery

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
I apologize for exaggerating a little but it was a very strange thing to find that in my computer there were laying some Trojans that i knew were there safe and clean. There were 4 or 5 files detected as trojans that made me uninstall MBAM. Some of the files were from Bitdefender .exe that were detected as trojans from both avg and mbam. I scanned then with Avast home and SAS and with Dr web free and nothing suspicious.
Anyway i am so happy with Avast and SAS. Thank you very much for the very quick reply