Author Topic: Trying to register but getting prompt that says email isn't valid  (Read 3872 times)

ScotDeerie

I bought the Home Pro edition online through PayPal.  I received the email verification and the license key and a million WARNINGS! coming up about every five seconds but every time I try to embed the key in the registration page, I get a prompt saying my email isn't recognized or the transaction didn't go through.

The email is the same one I rec'd my license key at.  Does anyone have a clue what is going wrong here or should I just throw this )#*$ thing in the garbage and ask for my money back?

I'm really sick of alerts popping up every five seconds and I can't get around that dang things.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Trying to register but getting prompt that says email isn't valid
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:03:57 AM »
You mention the Home Pro version, is this what you mean, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-professional-family-pack.html ?

The on-line payments are handled by element5 I believe, was that who you purchased through ?

What are the alerts ?

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm just about to call it a night, a little after 2.a.m. here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:46:19 AM »
The strong possibility exists that you haven't purchased Avast at all, but a clone. Better have a look at this: http://www.avast.com/eng/fraudulent-sales-of-avast-products.html
There is no "Avast home pro", there's Avast Home, which is free, and Avast Pro, which isn't, and is not purchased through Paypal.
If this is the case, do try and get your money back.
The contact form at the bottom of the page I linked may get you some advice, but I wouldn't bet on getting a refund.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »
You can send an email to sales@avast.com and ask for further help.
The best things in life are free.

ScotDeerie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »
Thanks to all who are trying to help.

I do have the right version from the right place.  (Whew!  I was worried there for a moment!)  My license key DID come from Element 5.  And the version is Avast Pro.  I guess my frustrated mind threw the "home" in there for some reason.

When my free version ran out (about 24 hours before I bought the Pro version) every five seconds some alert or warning about malware, virus' or other dire gloom or doom things were popping up on my screen.  I got black screens, enlarged screens, blue screens -- you name it; every irritating thing that could possibly come up on my screen did.   THAT  has seemed to stopped so far this a.m.

I did manage to embed my license key in the splash screen last night but warnings and alerts kept popping up and when I told the program to "block" the problem, I got the screen to register AGAIN and it would not take my email address to do so.   This went on for hours until I finally went to bed.

I have yet to encounter the same warnings and alerts this a.m. so perhaps the problem has been solved.  Stay tuned...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 03:37:17 PM »
Well I would say the "every five seconds some alert or warning about malware, virus' or other dire gloom or doom things were popping up on my screen" comment I believe indicates a rogue scamware and do not come from avast. So a screenshot would help of the alert. This is known as a fake alert.

Unless of course if you are in the same slight over exaggeration about the comment "or other dire gloom or doom things were popping up on my screen" which is a very common trait on these fake alert, rogue scamware. The are inviting you to visit a site, etc. to have a scan done, etc. etc.

So we do need some clarification ?

Black screens, enlarged screens, blue screens aren't the preserve of avast.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security