Author Topic: Avast version 4.8 Home Edition conflict with Zone Alarm 8.0.06?  (Read 7146 times)

richteratmosphere

Avast version 4.8 Home Edition conflict with Zone Alarm 8.0.06?
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:52:08 AM »
A couple of days ago, I updated Zone Alarm to the 8.0.06.  Immediately upon installing the Zone Alarm update, an Avast window came up stating that the Zone Alarm Update had created a conflict with Avast and that the Avast team was aware of this. 

There was also a suggestion to modify a setting on my web browser so that I could avoid problems checking my yahoo mail account.  I clicked on an Avast window button to change a setting and clicked on an Avast link that had a web video showing how to change a setting on Firefox to get by temporarily while Avast works out the problem. 

It appeared to have been an old video, because the options that were showing on the video of Firefox do not match the way that my current version of Firefox.

I haven't had any problems checking my email or with the web since the update.

The last time something like this happened with a past Zone Alarm update, there was info on the Avast forum from what I recall.  I came to the forum, and don't see any info on the problem that I am experiencing or posts from other users with this problem.

Anybody else experiencing this? 

If I'm the only one, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do to remedy the problem? 

Should I change back the option that I changed on the Avast window?  I can't seem to find how to manually change that option when going through the Avast options now.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast version 4.8 Home Edition conflict with Zone Alarm 8.0.06?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
I'm not sure about your exactly problem, but the theory is:

If the question appears and you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line or, if you want to keep this line, set it to 0. Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video. In this case, the value ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1 should be at avast4.ini file.

More info:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »
But does richteratmosphere use ZA antivirus? ???

richteratmosphere

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:15:03 PM »
I don't use ZA antivirus.  The first suggestion seemed to have addressed the problem.  Thank you very much for your input and help!

:)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:40:27 PM »
Notice that we had a ZA update recently...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:57:37 PM »
The problem by all accounts (Alan tested it) comes from the new installation of ZA free version where there is a limited Pro trial which should be unchecked or the user ends up with the pro trial and not the ZA free version only.

Because of this us get the ubiquitous ZA Pro Privacy function and it is this which conflicts with the web shield, and it is this which the avast notification on compatibility is on about.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security