Author Topic: PD vs UltraDefrag?  (Read 18202 times)

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
PD vs UltraDefrag?
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:47:47 PM »
Hi there all,

How good is Perfect Disk against UltraDefrag http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/?

Thanks.

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Hard_ROCKER

Re: PD vs UltraDefrag?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
Too good. No real comparison if you ask me. From the GUI to the core program functions to the scheduler and boot time defrag. Everything is much more advanced in PerfectDisk. Too many things to name here. In my opinion PD has no match.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:41:53 PM »
Thanks darth_mikey.

I appreciate your tried, tested views.

I was having second thoughts/doubts about PD Pro 2008.

Yezinki.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
Trust me i have tried and tested almost every defrag out there, nothing did a better job of defragging than PD.

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/07/great-defrag-shootout-xvii-raxco.html

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
Thanks again,

I tried PD & DK which I never liked so am with PD since PD7.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
I don't like DK aswell ESPECIALLY the prices ...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
darth_mikey, what about a comparison between PerfectDisk and O&O Defrag?
The best things in life are free.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
I like O&O, really i do. Infact it's one of my all time top 3 favorite defrag programs. The GUI is very nice as you can click each block and it shows you which files are occupying it, that is really cool and i wish PD would have this aswell. It was also damn fast on my machine and for that i give it a big plus. It's best feature though has to be the AUTO Defrag option, really i don't know of any programs that have this implemented any better. It really is one of those "install & forget" programs and that's a good thing in my book. Hats off to the developers for making this. As far as defragging goes, it gives you alot of different optimization strategies plus it has a boot time defrag which for me always was damn fast. Some folks said the boot time defrag is slow with this one but honestly on my machine it was bloody fast. Faster than PD for sure, same goes for the regular defrag(though PD does get faster with every defrag). It also takes the layout.ini file into account(you need to enable this in the settings though) so it doesn't screw up the boot time of your pc, that is something i consider very important myself.

So it does have some advantages over PD for sure(it's faster IMO has a more usefull GUI and has a better auto defrag feature) but when it comes to optimally placing the files for faster access on the disk i still think PD does a better job with it(repositions the MFT and is the only defrag i know off that completely defrags all NTFS metadata files). That is what makes PD stand out over the rest and is the reason why i like it so much, it's also the best at defragging boot files and it shortens the boot time even more than other programs.

BTW guys, you should also check out Puran Defrag my 3rd favorite commercial defrag, seriously it is a very very powerfull product and it allows you to SCHEDULE boot time defrags which i think is very cool. It also has a very smart optimization strategy, one which i feel can rival anything out there. Seriously good program. The price is very low aswell.  8)

http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag.html
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:39:21 PM by darth_mikey »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:47:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I do like O&O when I saw it running...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »
darth_mikey in PD> Settings> System Resource Priority> VSS DeFragmentation ......which one do you select?

VSS mode or Normal DeFragmentation?

Thanks.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
VSS Mode of course since i am running Vista.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »
Only if you have system restore ON.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
Which i have, of course ...  ;)

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
well I don't use system restore.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
What exactly is it that you want to know ?

EDIT: To avoid any further questions about VSS i will provide a link for you to read and learn about VSS. Here's a quote from the wiki article on Vista Shadow Copy ...
Note that i also use the Windows Complete PC Backup and that also makes use of VSS ... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Windows Vista Shadow Copy

In Windows Vista, the rewritten backup utility also uses Shadow Copy to manually back up files. In addition, the "Shadow Copy for Shared Folders" feature is now called "Previous Versions" and has been enabled for files on standalone computers. It stores backup copies of files on local volumes using incremental snapshots and can restore them later. The shadow copy is not created every time a file is changed. The backup copies are only created, either automatically once per day or also created manually when triggered by the backup utility or installer applications.[1] The "Previous Versions" feature is available in the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions.[2] The Home Editions lack the "Previous Versions" feature, even though the Volume Snapshot Service is included and running. Using third party tools it is still possible to restore lost or altered files.[3]

The Windows Vista version of System Restore is also now based on Shadow Copy. Prior to Windows Vista, System Restore was based on a file-based filter that watched changes for a certain set of file extensions, and then copied files before they were overwritten.[4]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:39:47 PM by darth_mikey »