Author Topic: Can't update Avast VPS  (Read 12913 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't update Avast VPS
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 08:04:58 PM »
Never mind David...
The best things in life are free.

RobertJS

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
After having had the Rootkit FP problem, I re-installed Avast. So, I am now running 4.8.1296. Updating VPS seems to work fine (see log content), however the "About Avast" screen as well as the residentprotection.txt file indicate it is still working with VPS version 081204-0. I have tried uninstall / re-install and also repair from control panel-add/remove progarms, but with no result.
I am logged on as administrator
OS = XP Pro SP3
Is there anything that I can do ? Everything had worked fine with the version previous to 4.8.1296.
Thank you for your help.

Robert

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
You seem to have tried everything but a manual update (right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, iAVS Update).

An uninstall/reinstall would only bribg the VPS that was contained in the installation file, which could be out of date. A Repair would only fix any problem with say a corrupt or missing file, but not the version of the VPS.

Though the avast_log.txt file you attached shows 081218-0 completed. Interestingly I didn't have that version of the VPS so I did a manual update and it completed successfully and is reported in about avast. Though you shouldn't need to have you rebooted since the VPS update ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RobertJS

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 06:21:57 PM »
Thank you for your quick reply, DavidR.
Sorry, I forgot yo mention that I also tried the manual update, which I tried again 1 minute ago to make sure I had done it and whose result is "VPS alreay up to date". The other trials (uniinstall/re-install, repair) were mostly as a hope to unlock the situation. I installed 4.8.1296 at the beginning of the week after a fourtnight holiday and because after having received the 081215-0 update with the rootkit FP, I could not install 081215-1, neither automatically nor manually (the current database version remained at 081215-0).
The problem looks as if the place where the "current databse version" is kept could not be updated.

Best Regards,
Robert

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
I would reboot and see if that has any effect.

What surprises me is that the Windows Security Center hasn't had a whinge as the VPS if more than 7 days old would trigger that, so something must be reporting that correctly. So what version of the VPS does the WSC say you have ?

I have in the past seen the repair (I know you tried it) resolve this out of synch version numbers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RobertJS

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »
The Windows Security Center gives me the warning that my antivirus might be out of date and show [VPS 081204-0] as version nr. I already tried to reboot, but with no effect.
Just before replying with this message and simply to make sure all had been done in the correct sequence, I did :
1. in control Panel-add/remove program : change Avast and select update
2. still in control Panel-add/remove program : change Avast and select repair
3. reboot
As a result, I still have 081204-0 as current database version and WSC claiming about an out of date antivirus.

Sorry for being unable to give you good news

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »
Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
Seems that your firewall is blocking the update. The antivirus is, indeed, outdated.

RobertJS

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »
Please find attached the part of the setup.log you requested. In addition, I would like to say that I have checked my Windows firewalll settings and that avast! antivirus is one of the exceptions listed in the programs and services that MUST NOT be blocked by the firewall.
Moreover, the avast log show that the updates are correctly transfered to my system.

Regards,
Robert

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
Your logs seems ok and your avast seems to be updated ??? ???

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
Prior to your most recent re-installation did you use the avast uninstall utility?

RobertJS

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
I ran Add/Remove program from the control panel, followed by a re-boot and then aswclear.exe because the "alwil software" directory and its content (sub-directories program, dll, etc...) had not been deleted by the Remove procedure

Friday 19 december, 07:38 PM (in Belgium)

Finally, I have an up to date version of the system. How did I get this ?
1. I uninstalled the avast from my pc, making sure that there was no unexpected file or directory left on my HDD.
2. I deleted all registry entries mentioning avast
3. I downloaded 4.8.1296 from avast server instead of using the one I had downloaded from download.com
4. I registered again (same key was generated)
5. I installed freshly downloaded version
And now it works. I first got the message saying that the database was out of date (081204-0) and the program automatically downloaded VPS 081218-0.
So, I am now a happy man, running an efficient antivirus program.

Many thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Best Regards,
Robert
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:47:48 PM by RobertJS »