Author Topic: msqpdxwqsctmei.dll pops up when I launch my browser  (Read 6333 times)

Jazhawk

msqpdxwqsctmei.dll pops up when I launch my browser
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:38 AM »
Avast (Home version) alerts me to this file in my windows/system32 folder msqpdxwqsctmei.dll.  I click to delete it twice and it goes away.  I thought it was when I launched IE but it happens with FF as well. I did a search and nothing matching this name shows up.  I did a search on my computer after unhiding the files and did not find it.

Any ideas?

-Jazhawk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: msqpdxwqsctmei.dll pops up when I launch my browser
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »
It looks like a randomly named file common for malware. What was the malware name given by avast ?

What is your firewall ?

If it keeps coming back, there is likely to be an undetected or hidden element to the infection that restores or downloads the file again.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:43:22 AM »
Hi jazhawk,

Also consider this info for this malware: http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t95900.html
This is a downloader Zlob infection, the malware was first seen to appear in Poland,
Try the suggestions given by DavidR, if this does not cleanse the malware sufficiently, we should consider using a special tool like ComboFix and have the log.txt analyzed to be cleansed with a prescribed script in ComboFix,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Jazhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »
It looks like a randomly named file common for malware. What was the malware name given by avast ?

What is your firewall ?

If it keeps coming back, there is likely to be an undetected or hidden element to the infection that restores or downloads the file again.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.

The name that shows up is Win32:Fasec [trj].

-Jazhawk

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:17 AM »
Hello Jazhawk,

Here is a pretty good analysis of the malware you mentioned there, it is a root-kit Trojan, read:
http://novirusthanks.org/blog/?p=526

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Jazhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
Thanks all.  I ran superAntispyware and found 3 rootkits tickling my ivory's.  Got rid of those and it looks like I have a clean bill of health again.

Thank you for the assist.

-Jazhawk

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »
You're welcome.

If rootkits were running, there removal could reveal other things, so I would suggest you run another scan with avast and MBAM if you haven't already done so.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security