Author Topic: Can Avast be disable at startup, not for startup  (Read 2821 times)

cougarmandan

Can Avast be disable at startup, not for startup
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:50:07 AM »
I have a little issue that I am not sure what to do. I am tring to a  repair for my windows xp and it has me enter my product key to validate and its not accepting it. Microsoft says to disable my antivirus. Ok, that was simple yesterday, before I started. Now I have installed some of software and it doesn't go into windows, goes into the setup/repair feature. Is there a way to disable the avast? Its been so lone since I have done anything of this nature that I just don't remember how to go about it. It seams like you used to be able to boot to ms dos somehow and run an application. Any ideas?

onlysomeone

Re: Can Avast be disable at startup, not for startup
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »
i don't think that avast! blocks any kind of entering the windows license key... but we'll see...

first the same question like every times:
do or did you use any other security software (antivirus, firewall)?

why do you have to enter the windows license key? didn't you enter it some time before? did you reinstall windows?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:48:17 AM »
avast now (and always has) provided the "Stop on access protection" via the right click of the avast icon in the systray.

Entering the product key for XP probably requires a Web access. If, after stopping avast, you continue to experience this problem then may wish to uninstall avast before you enter the XP product key.  Once you have cleared this hurdle you can re-install avast and we can discuss any issues that arise later.

cougarmandan

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
I am not running any other anti-virus, but I was running norton's firewall in the past. I am booting from the window disk to do file repairs. Its alot like loading windows for the first time. I am basically following directions here which I have done before on another system without any problems:

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

However, its not accepting the key. I think I am going to get another hard drive and install fresh on it and then I should be able to use this current drive as a slave for temp. Right now it goes to setup and doesn't go into windows so I can't click on anything.