Author Topic: Avast for Mac - wanna beta-test the new engine?  (Read 26690 times)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Avast for Mac - wanna beta-test the new engine?
« on: December 17, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »
Well,
the latest engine (after three last minor bugfixes and one major HW fix on my G5) .... seems to work 100% OK, or, at least, no bugs were found during the latest full test. Thus, it's the right time to pass this new heart to the betatesters :).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BETATESTERS:

installation:

0) if you don't have avast! for Mac yet, get it here: http://files.avast.com/files/mac/avast.2.74.zip
1) download and unzip http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/md80.zip, you will get new com.avast.MacAvast.MAD engine
2) quit both avast! and agent from avast's menubar (if grayed out, uncheck persistent mode in Preferences first)
3) go to the /Applications/avast!.app/Contents/Resources and make a backup of the previous com.avast.MacAvast.MAD
4) place the new com.avast.MacAvast.MAD file there, and run avast! again

verification:

hover mouse above VPS 0812xx-x text in the left upper corner - Engine version: 0.0.80-beta must be shown there (not 0.0.68 nor 0.0.69)

task:
do the scan of your harddrive - the more files/stuff = the better. the scan must complete flawlessly, daemon shouldn't die, neither the GUI.
in the case of any problem (futile cycling, crash), please let me immediately know (cimbal :at: avast.com). in the case of no problem, please let me immdiately know too :).

back to previous version:

apply the steps 1) to 4) again, just use the previously backed-up com.avast.MacAvast.MAD file (or, when lost, get one here: http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/md69.zip)

BONUS: Yes, this version doesn't need ANY license and will work for 400 days since now (but can also accept any valid license at any time).

... and note, it's NOT new version of avast! yet - just the beta (or, rather, a release candidate) of the core engine

Regards,
pc

Any help/report/suggestion will be very appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:47:45 PM by zilog »
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

chrlswtt

Re: Avast for Mac - wanna beta-test the new engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:22:31 AM »
   While running the avast! beta, something peculiar occurred. I have two internal drives on my Mac. One called Macintosh HD (the main drive) and the secondary called Data HD. I started the avast! scan on the Macintosh HD and after a few hours I noticed that it had completed but  then continued on to scan the Data HD. You can only choose one drive at a time on the scan volume menu, so how did avast! decide to continue onto the secondary HD? Is this a new feature or a bug? ;-)   

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »
Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Intel): Scan Completes without any problems.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
   While running the avast! beta, something peculiar occurred. I have two internal drives on my Mac. One called Macintosh HD (the main drive) and the secondary called Data HD. I started the avast! scan on the Macintosh HD and after a few hours I noticed that it had completed but  then continued on to scan the Data HD. You can only choose one drive at a time on the scan volume menu, so how did avast! decide to continue onto the secondary HD? Is this a new feature or a bug? ;-)   

Thanks for the report, Charlie,
and because others might be interested too, here's the reporting scenario for this class of peculiarities:

1) was the same true for the previous 0.0.68 OR 0.0.69 engine?
2) could you please try this shamanism?
a) - have avast! running, and from terminal, use ps -laxwww | grep MAD
b) - quit both avast and agent from menubar
c) - run the com.avast.MacAvast.MAD manually (=retype the command line got from a), don't forget to '\'-prefix all '!' and spaces), but add two new switches: -m 0xffffffff -s ~/mad.log
d) run avast, and verify that the manual incarnation of daemon was accepted (use ps -laxwww | grep MAD, only one MAD should be running - that daemon spawned by you)
e) do the scan
f) quit both avast and agent from menubar
g) zip the mad.log in your home directory, and send it to me

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Intel): Scan Completes without any problems.

Thanks for the report, Mac.

Regards,
pc

Micko

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
Scan of 152GBytes completed with no problems. Smooth and fast.

However, it did show 387 warnings.

I am running Leopard 10.5.6 on the latest Intel iMac.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:07:42 PM by Micko »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:55:32 PM »

Most of those were err 13 right?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Micko

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 07:20:41 AM »

I would say about 60-70 percent, The rest 42056 & 42110. For some reason, the menu option to save the scan is not working. (greyed out)
I'm not sure if this behavior has just started or if it has been broken. This is my Internal Boot Drive.

I did run two more scans on a couple of my external drives, both scans completed without any problems. Here is a little more info, if it helps:

External 1 (Archive Drive): Scanned 334,893 items in 20,859 files, found 0 viruses and 1283 warnings. 183.82 GB
Err 13, 42056, 42110, 42125.

External 2 (Tiger Boot Volume): Scanned 1,379,894 items in 994,696 files, found 0 viruses and  519 warnings. 110.72 GB
Err 5, 13, 212, 42056, 42110, 42129.

Once again, the option to save the scan was unavailable. I am used to the Err 13 & 42056 codes, but the new codes (5, 212, 42129) concern me, I do not know what they actually mean, other than the error code information sheet from Zilog.

I have two more external drives to scan when I have the time.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:31:23 AM by Micko »

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster

moorej04

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 07:34:08 PM »
Hello,

I installed the software package for apple computer and I got these files (avast.pkg) and (com.avast.macavast.mad).  I got an error code of 10660 and avast cannot be installed on my computer.

I appreciate all you have done.  Could you please help me solve this problem so I can run avast! on my ibook G4 apple computer.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
Hello,

I installed the software package for apple computer and I got these files (avast.pkg) and (com.avast.macavast.mad).  I got an error code of 10660 and avast cannot be installed on my computer.

I appreciate all you have done.  Could you please help me solve this problem so I can run avast! on my ibook G4 apple computer.

Version of Mac OS?

moorej04

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »
I need help to install vast! on my apple computer.  Here is a look at my files on my computer.  Why cann't I  install avast!? 
  Machine Model:   iBook G4
  CPU Type:   PowerPC G4  (1.1)
  Number Of CPUs:   1
  CPU Speed:   1.07 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):   512 KB
  Memory:   256 MB
  Bus Speed:   133 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:   4.8.5f0

Please help me,

moorej04

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »

I would say about 60-70 percent, The rest 42056 & 42110. For some reason, the menu option to save the scan is not working. (greyed out)
I'm not sure if this behavior has just started or if it has been broken. This is my Internal Boot Drive.

I did run two more scans on a couple of my external drives, both scans completed without any problems. Here is a little more info, if it helps:

External 1 (Archive Drive): Scanned 334,893 items in 20,859 files, found 0 viruses and 1283 warnings. 183.82 GB
Err 13, 42056, 42110, 42125.

External 2 (Tiger Boot Volume): Scanned 1,379,894 items in 994,696 files, found 0 viruses and  519 warnings. 110.72 GB
Err 5, 13, 212, 42056, 42110, 42129.

Once again, the option to save the scan was unavailable. I am used to the Err 13 & 42056 codes, but the new codes (5, 212, 42129) concern me, I do not know what they actually mean, other than the error code information sheet from Zilog.

I have two more external drives to scan when I have the time.

I hope this helps.

Hallo Micko,
thanks for the report. All those warning will be hidden by default in the next version (because users were usually disturbed by them, although they have nothing to do with viruses/malware). Your numbers are related to access rights, password protected archives, decompression bombs and corrupted archives - that's quite expectable. Number 5 is strange - might happen when scanning some file that disappeared while mapped, could you please click on the line with this error, and tell me, what file caused it (its full path, second line in the middle info-panel)?.

thanks,
pc

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
I need help to install vast! on my apple computer.  Here is a look at my files on my computer.  Why cann't I  install avast!? 
  Machine Model:   iBook G4
  CPU Type:   PowerPC G4  (1.1)
  Number Of CPUs:   1
  CPU Speed:   1.07 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):   512 KB
  Memory:   256 MB
  Bus Speed:   133 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:   4.8.5f0

Please help me,

moorej04

Hallo,
but - what version of MacOS do you use? :)

regards,
pc

meinrosebud

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »
Installed and testing! It is a cpu hog at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:13:53 AM by meinrosebud »