Author Topic: WinXP Boot delayed by avast  (Read 11786 times)

wilbertnl

Re:WinXP Boot delayed by avast
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 05:16:08 PM »
So it doesn't recognize avast at all, or it just says it's turned off?

BTW the startup delay should be solved by tomorrow's update. I'd call it a work around instead of a fix - as it's evidently WSC's fault... Maybe they'll sort it out before SP2 goes official... I'll report this 'feature' to them.

Thanks
Vlk
To answer your question: Until yesterday it didn't recognize the installed software at all and I worked around it with the "custom software" option, which basically disables the WSC AV installation check. Yesterday I could confirm that with a screen capture.

Today WSC recognizes avast and it is showing "up to date", it looks like the delay didn't happen, but I also added the updatedelaytime item in the ini file. I guess I should remove that and check again.
There are no other software changes (like updates) on this system.

So far, thank you for your attention and time, Avast is getting better every day.  :)

Hm, maybe this was only a random change.
First I removed the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=30 and the problem returned.
Then I added AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=30 again to the ini file, but the problem is stil there.
That looks like only one boot today WSC and Avast were working together as designed and after that the problem persists.

Second Update:
It looks like it takes a really long time before WSC and Avast are talking together. After a while WSC shows that Virus Protection is ON. So, there is a really long delay before this status is reached. Sometimes the MS Firewall is not able to start until WSC and Avast agree.

This happens here on two computers, desktop and laptop.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 06:01:53 PM by wilbertnl »

Scannerdesk

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2004, 03:51:28 PM »
Hi All,

Just to let you know that after the program update this morning, the bootup ran perfectly. No bootup delay.  It re-booted like a charm.

Windows XP SP2RC1 is installed.

Great work guys.

wilbertnl

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2004, 04:47:13 PM »
Just to let you know that after the program update this morning, the bootup ran perfectly. No bootup delay.  It re-booted like a charm.

Oops, since something looked a bit different yesterday (WSC recognized Avast) I thought there was already a fix...

Well, I updated Avast today to 4.1.396 and I can only partly second the previous message.
The delay is fixed, but WSC warns that Antivirus software might not be installed and the computer is at risk.

The update works fine on the laptop, though.
So I will reinstall XP-SP2.RC1 on de desktop and see if a clean installation makes a difference. (although on the laptop is more nonsense installed)

Talk to you later!

drahnier

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2004, 06:04:02 PM »

Oops, since something looked a bit different yesterday (WSC recognized Avast) I thought there was already a fix...

Well, I updated Avast today to 4.1.396 and I can only partly second the previous message.
The delay is fixed, but WSC warns that Antivirus software might not be installed and the computer is at risk.

The update works fine on the laptop, though.
So I will reinstall XP-SP2.RC1 on de desktop and see if a clean installation makes a difference. (although on the laptop is more nonsense installed)

Talk to you later!

Interesting. On my XPSP2RC1 systems, WSC recognizes avast! but - although I already have VPS 418-1 installed - WSC claims avast! VPS is 418-0.

wilbertnl

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2004, 06:41:43 PM »
Interesting. On my XPSP2RC1 systems, WSC recognizes avast! but - although I already have VPS 418-1 installed - WSC claims avast! VPS is 418-0.

So, this is what I did:
install XPSP1, install/Update Avast, install/update SP2RC1 Update drivers. reboot, reboot, reboot.
So far it looks good. WSC recognizes Avast (and shows VPS 418-1)
I will continue monitoring this while I install more software.

Thank you, guys!