Author Topic: Basics_1  (Read 1793 times)

eliasawad75

Basics_1
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:46:45 AM »
Hello,

I have Avast 4.8 Pro and really need to know about the basic basics in the Avast world... I'll get to the complaints later on !

1. How can I access an Avast dialog box where I can launch a scan, be it memory or files, without having to first click on that little Avast blue ball at the bottom right of my comp screen ?

2. When Avast starts screaming about having detected a virus, it offers three solutions : "delete", "ignore" or "quarantine". What kind of files can I delete without disrupting my comp's performance. And what happens when I stash an important infected file in quarantine ? Won't my comp be missing it to work properly. And sometimes Avast suggests : "ignore". Then why bother me with alerts if the hazard is ignorable ?!

3. How come Avast sometimes fails to scan certain files ? What happens if they are infected ? How to solve this problem ?

Any answers, anyone ? I promise not to ask the same question twice !

Thank you all and see you soon with more questions !

E. A.
OS = Windows XP Pro
Browser = Firefox (3.0. something !)

eliasawad75@yahoo.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Basics_1
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »
1. How can I access an Avast dialog box where I can launch a scan, be it memory or files, without having to first click on that little Avast blue ball at the bottom right of my comp screen ?
Right click the 'a' blue icon and choose 'Start avast! antivirus' ;D
Or Start button > avast! antivirus > avast! antivirus.
Or run ashEnhcd.exe from avast folder.

2. When Avast starts screaming about having detected a virus, it offers three solutions : "delete", "ignore" or "quarantine". What kind of files can I delete without disrupting my comp's performance. And what happens when I stash an important infected file in quarantine ? Won't my comp be missing it to work properly. And sometimes Avast suggests : "ignore". Then why bother me with alerts if the hazard is ignorable ?!
Ignore will be for false positive detections.
The better and safer will be send files to Chest for further analysis (or restore, or rescan, etc.).

3. How come Avast sometimes fails to scan certain files ? What happens if they are infected ? How to solve this problem ?
Which files? You can schedule a boot time scanning for full access to all files.
The best things in life are free.