Author Topic: Avast does not work or blind  (Read 2633 times)

Tagiltsev

Avast does not work or blind
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:33 PM »
I purchased licensed version 4.8 Professional. It notifies me about update for about two times a day sometimes.
Today I got a phone call from my internet provider they said that my IP was frozen because 330 spam letters were sent from my IP last night. Now I can correct the situation only if I sent them my application with virus scanner report attached. How could it happen that my computer had produced this huge emission of spam due to virus hidden and my Avast virus scanner did not know about it. Why do I need Avast then? ???
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:55:41 AM by Tagiltsev »

CharleyO

Re: Avast does not work or blind
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:24:06 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Tagiltsev.   :)

The Internet Mail provider should have alerted you to spam email sent from your computer.

Check to see if the provider is working and the scan count.

Right click the avast icon on the tool bar  >  click on the On-Access Protection Control on the menu  >  select the Internet Mail in the left pane  >  near the top should be "The provider is currently running"  >  below should be the Scan count

ACG_Support

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »
Do you use anti-spam software? A client used anti-spam software that had its own SMTP engine. When it bounced/rejected spam it was seen as outgoing traffic which got them blacklisted repeatedly. AV software will not cause this. All you need do, if this is the case, is set the anti-spam NOT TO reject spam and/or send a letter to the sender. Instead route the spam to a SPAM folder and set it to delete every few days.

Also, Malwarebytes will help you get a handle on any spyware that may have a toehold on your system.

There are plenty of good anti-spam applications out on the web that can be had for little to nothing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:03:34 AM by ACG_Support »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »
All anti-virus programs can miss a worm from time to time- the AV should only be part of your defence.

Try this:

First try a boot time scan with avast! Right click the scanner screen, select 'schedule a boot time scan' and reboot when requested. (Or open the tab at the top left of the scanner screen and select the boot time option from there.)

Try a scan with DrWeb CureIT!
Try a scan with Kaspersky Virus removal Tool

Try one or more of these free adware/spyware scanners.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free
a-Squared Free
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog