Author Topic: Howto shutdown AVAST completely  (Read 52477 times)

greyshade

Re: Howto shutdown AVAST completely
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
<off-topic>

DavidR,

Just wanted to acknowledge your remarkable restraint and dignified response in the face of totally unwarranted provocation.

It always pays to be polite, more so when you are under fire... and you have so admirably demonstrated this old-school principle.

This forum (and it is a whole education in here) will always remain a popular place with more people like you... and thankfully, there are quite a few.

~cheers! to all the evangelists. your stock just rose.  :)

</off-topic>

puck

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 10:24:55 PM »
I stumbled upon this thread via google because Avast was keeping me from cleaning up my start up programs.   I used Startup Inspector to do this and it was not functioning properly while avast was running, even if avast was 'paused'.     Avast was not allowing Startup inspector to apply any changes to the start up list while Avast was running.  I kept getting an error message when trying to make the changes that said that it could not make any changes and said something about avast.  I do no recall the exact error message and did not write it down unfortunately.  I did try stopping all the various avast modules and that did not work.  I then tried to kill its processess to no avail.  It was at that point that I found this thread.

I did what veepee78 suggested, turn off Avast's self protection and then killed avast completely.  Startup Inspector then could apply any changes I wanted and now I've returned Avast to its original state.  I wonder if it might have worked by only disabling the self protect.  I did not think to try that at the time.   I thought I'd pass this on for anyone that may care.   I also would argue it is not unreasonable as a computer user/owner to expect an easier way to shut down any software, regardless of what my reason may be.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:15:00 PM by puck »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:40 PM »
The avast self-defence module should only protect avast's files, registry entries, startup items, etc.

It doesn't effect other startup entries. The only startup item if we're talking msconfig type startup items, then the ashDisp.exe (avast tray icon) is the only user startup item.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

puck

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 01:52:08 AM »
I'm sure you are right but that did happen.   I consistently received an error message whenever I tried to apply any changes and the message indicated that avast was the problem.  Only after I killed avast could I commit any changes.   I can't explain why this happened (I'm not sure) but it did indeed happen and Avast, as best I can tell, certainly played a role in the problem. 

Tangento

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
How about this:

Some of us have older PCs on which we sometimes require the freedom to shut down certain running processes in order to conserve system resources. In addition, some of us are musicians who sometimes like to disconnect from the 'net, shut down some processes and record our instruments. Then there are gamers, etc. Right now my task manager is telling me that Avastsvc.exe is sucking up about 28,728K. "Silent/ Gaming Mode" does nothing whatsoever to alter this, AFAICS. Disabling the shields actually increased usage. For people like us, it is extremely frustrating to have an otherwise great program like Avast making nazi-like decisions for us, as to which programs we can & cannot shut down when we need to. EVERY INSTALLED PROGRAM should provide an option to temporarily disable (meaning to actually disable) or close the program, or to at least allow this to be accomplished from the task manager.

Fire away, evangelists!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:53:56 AM by Tangento »

CharleyO

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Tangento   :)

Your computer must be very old for you to have those problems. I built mine in 2004 and have no problems such as you describe above. See my signature below for the major system specs.

Tangento

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:53 AM »
Hello Charley,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, it's a pretty old box, about 2003.

Looking at my post, I don't really see any problems listed.

I just want to be able to shut off the program.  :-\

Tangento

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
So no other Avast/ Stepford people care to weigh in on this thing? ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »
How many of the services running on your system provide a direct option to disable them? None maybe?
You can go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services and stop it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
I can't understand why users insist on disabling the essential services/programs of the computer precisely when they're most needed... ::) ::)
The best things in life are free.

katesmom99

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 04:18:26 PM »
I found this thread while searching for a way to temporarily shut down Avast. My 4 year old grandson likes to play an online game called Webkinz Jr (www.webkinzjr.com). When I log in to his account, the site starts to load and then hangs and will not finish loading. From some searching, I discovered that this is a known problem with Avast. It was suggested that I exclude 11 urls in Avast. I did this, and it still wouldn't load. I wanted to shut down Avast to see whether the site would load. Of course, I found that I couldn't do that. I did try pausing everything, but Webkinz Jr would still not load. When I uninstalled Avast, Webkinz Jr loaded perfectly.

Webkinz Jr is a game that my grandson has been playing for some time. I am not afraid of it doing anything to my computer. (And, yes, I worked in the computer field for 25 years, so this isn't simply an uninformed opinion.) I was initially looking for a way to resolve the problem so that I could continue using Avast and still allow my grandson to access Webkinz Jr. After reading the posts in this thread, I have changed my mind. I really object to the "we know what's best for you" attitude I found here. I can understand that you don't want to make it easy for novice users to shut down protection where they may not know what they're doing. But to make it impossible for ANY user to completely shut down Avast without doing an uninstall strikes me as unnecessarily paternalistic. I have switched to another anti-virus program, and I will no longer be recommending Avast to others.

I would suggest that you go out and buy a Webkinz Jr animal (to get a log-in code) and do some work to make it possible for your program to coexist with Webkinz Jr. But that's your call. It won't be a problem for me any more.

CharleyO

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »

I can't understand why users insist on disabling the essential services/programs of the computer precisely when they're most needed... ::) ::)

+ 1

senselocke

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
New user, new poster here.

This is pathetic, all of you "evangelists" and "technicals". The OP asked a specific question, and got zero help. And to make matters worse, you insinuated he/she was wrong to want to do what they wanted to do. Or, even better, called people asking for your help liars, insinuating your program is perfect, doesn't need to be shut down, doesn't hog resources, doesn't block installs, doesn't interfere with things it's not supposed to. Instead of telling everyone how wrong they are, how about figuring out why your program is doing these things it's not supposed to do, and fix it?

It shouldn't matter what program they were using, why they wanted to do this, or how "dangerous" it was to disable it--YOU ALL KNEW THE ANSWER AND HELD OUT ON GIVING IT. It's insulting, ridiculous, and, if this is the sort of "help" on offer, seriously makes me consider uninstalling the program right now.

I am on a family computer, that's a P.O.S. I installed Avast to try to clean it up, as buying a new computer is not something everyone can do at a whim. But Avast was using over 85% of my CPU, on idle. I had to kill the bastard. Considering I had no AV running at all for years, stopping it now is not going to cause world war 3--but even using the "disable defence" I had to play whack-a-mole in the Task manager to get the bugger to finally die.

Here's a tip, "evangelists"--if I install an anti-virus program, I expect certain things, namely, that it play nicely. Not allowing users to shut it down EVEN WHEN THEY WANT TO is not playing nicely, it's rather rude. Then, when a poster comes here asking for help, you do nothing but belittle or ignore them, telling them they don't really need to, and reading the riot act. Shame on you. It's not your job to question why, just give the answer.

Now, I have Avast finally killed, so I can start backing up my crappy computer. You might have noticed, but the sky is not falling, WW3 is not broken out, and Jeebus is not returning, so obviously, killing Avast is not fatal. If you seriously want your program to become a contender in the AV space, you had better pull your collective heads out of your bums and start being humble, respectful, and helpful, and stop being arrogant, elitist jerks.

Oh, and install a damn "kill" function--I don't hit that red "X" button and expect to tickle a program, I want that bastard to die. And please, don't lecture me on why I shouldn't--it's not your job to tell potential customers what they shouldn't want to do, it's your job to tell them how to do it. Grow up, get off the horse, and start being helpful, or shut up and let others who are helpful do your job. But don't preach to everyone about how superior and perfect your obviously intrusive and buggy program is.

~senselocke, a severely irked new poster

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
This is pathetic, all of you "evangelists" and "technicals". The OP asked a specific question, and got zero help.
Just read the first reply of David with full information on disabling avast.
On contrary, the OP came and never came back. That's what botters me most...

Or, even better, called people asking for your help liars, insinuating your program is perfect, doesn't need to be shut down, doesn't hog resources, doesn't block installs, doesn't interfere with things it's not supposed to.
Nobody is denying avast issues. What we can't understand is the reason to disable.
avast does NOT need to be shutdown. Any other antivirus needs it. Change the antivirus, change the hardware but do not think that disabling the antivirus is the way to go.

Instead of telling everyone how wrong they are, how about figuring out why your program is doing these things it's not supposed to do, and fix it?
Fix what?

It's insulting, ridiculous, and, if this is the sort of "help" on offer, seriously makes me consider uninstalling the program right now.
I think I'm losing my time here...

start being humble, respectful, and helpful, and stop being arrogant, elitist jerks.
Who's being unhelpful, arrogant, elitist here? Did you participate a little in the forums? Do you know where you are? No, you don't.
The best things in life are free.

Offline VanHelsing

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 04:05:02 PM »
I need to run Combo-Fix but im having trouble shutting Avast 5 down. I have shut it down on th tool bar but Combo Fix says there is still a scanner running in the background.  According to the prompts in Combo-Fix it is dangerous to run the program with anti-virus running in the background.  Please advise on how to proceed.  Thanks!