Author Topic: Microsoft is at a disadvantage in updating Internet Explorer.  (Read 10596 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Microsoft is at a disadvantage in updating Internet Explorer.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
But let us not forget that these products fund the entire security (and malware) business

I used to work for a very large bank which uses other operating systems - from my experiences I know that your statement is not entirely applicable.

TheSpirit

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
I used to work for a very large bank which uses other operating systems - from my experiences I know that your statement is not entirely applicable.

True. We should allow other vendors to join the club.  ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »
By way of update to an earlier post:

Firefox waits until the browser has been up and running for a period of time (I would have to go an find the exact period) before it checks for updates.

It is 10 minutes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
At least when Microsoft chooses to push an emergency fix then it takes advantage of the fact that (in theory) your system will check for automatic updates on every system startup.  However (as DavidR noted in another thread) their method of server congestion management may mean that you do not get the update immediately.

Well it still hasn't come down the pipe, despite the WU icon popping up twice today and still reporting Downloading 0% this for me is a regular issue taking days to get an auto update to finally complete.

I gave up and downloaded it manually from download.microsoft.com, it took 8 minutes on my poor download connection. Where the au.download.microsoftupdate.com has taken two days of multiple attempts to get nowhere.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 02:36:18 AM »
Integrating explorer deeply in the O.S. gives you faster, immediately available functionality and makes your IE browser start faster as a third party browser can (part of it starts at starting your OS), or you have to slim down the browser unto quite an extent (as they did with GoogleChrome) or use a shell browser, but it is/was not one of the brightest ideas security-wise,

polonus
Windows and IE were not designed with security or performance in mind. Only the number of features matters here.

But let us not forget that these products fund the entire security (and malware) business. If Windows were a real OS and IE a real browser, all these people would go out of business, and this forum would not exist.  :o

I'd consider this post slightly biased  :o
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »
Before you posted Bob ... TheSpirit had implicitly accepted this already in reply #16 in this thread.   

TheSpirit

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 07:23:17 AM »
Sharp observation, Bob. I have an opinion.

I was waiting for one of you usual meaningless, balancing posts. There is one in every thread, I believe.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »
Sharp observation, Bob. I have an opinion.

I was waiting for one of you usual meaningless, balancing posts. There is one in every thread, I believe.

You know, I've tried to be a voice for peace on these forums but, I think I've had enough. I'm tired of n00bs like you coming to these forums spewing your fanboy crap and talking trash about someone like bob. He's done more here to help others than you ever will.

These forums are here to help people. If you can't do that then leave.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »
Calm down people, this will get us nowhere. Let's try to stick with the topic and avoid personal attacks. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »
Merry Christmas for you  :-*  :-*
The best things in life are free.

drhayden1

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
Calm down people, this will get us nowhere. Let's try to stick with the topic and avoid personal attacks
ageed....no more needs to be said :)
He's done more here to help others than you ever will.
has helped me and a lots of people on this forum
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:59:23 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
Merry Christmas for you  :-*  :-*

And to you Tech.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!