Author Topic: Time forum off-set not responding...  (Read 10223 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Time forum off-set not responding...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
Tech,

the auto detect is working just fine for me.  Here in North America daylight saving time changes are on different dates than those in Europe and I would imagine that yours are too.  So in the "gap period" I have to override the auto detect to see correct forum times.

I last used it in November when the US and Europe were "in sync" again and auto detect sets the correct time difference.

I just tested it again and it is working for me.  I suspect that this is a database problem in the Simple Machines deployment.  I am guessing that it needs to look up the time zone stored in your system settings and your time zone for Brazilian summer time is not being located.

However you are not alone with the problem.  It seems to be a long standing bug reported in the Simple machines forum for more than two years. 

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=109688.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
Tech, the auto detect is working just fine for me.  Here in North America...

I suspect that this is a database problem in the Simple Machines deployment.  I am guessing that it needs to look up the time zone stored in your system settings and your time zone for Brazilian summer time is not being located.

Thanks Alanrf, seems debugged.
Like I said, the problem is on forum software... Two-year-old bug... ridiculous...
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »
And that is correct, it isn't a problem for me, it is a problem for you
The auto detect button does not work for anybody...
<snip>

I really would love to drop this (and will after this), but what you are saying simply isn't correct, as for the only two avast users that have responded have not had a problem with the auto detect function, so it 'is working for us.'

In all of this all I have been talking of is my experience and that is 'it's working for me.'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »
But what you are saying simply isn't correct, as for the only two avast users that have responded have not had a problem with the auto detect function, so it 'is working for us.'
Us = Brazilians.
Problem is still there = Database of the forum software.
Please David, read the posts with an open mind.

kubecj

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »
Nope, the problem is not in the database.
Problem is in the Javascript. After clicking "auto detect", it compares your local time to the server time and fills in the number in the field. If it returns NaN, it means that there is a problem computing the number and database correctly refuses that.

It's not working for me either, I'd suspect it may be some regional setting, maybe it works for 'western' kind of dates only?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »
Tech,

what settings show for you in the box (with the % characters etc) above "auto detect"?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »
I managed to recreate the problem too.  See the image below. 

Clearly a software problem in looking at the date format.  Not all of the formats offered in the date format drop down list will work with "auto detect" though some do for me.  I modified the date format to give the closest I could to the format in Tech's original post and that could not be handled by auto detect.

As far as I can see the auto detect fails on any date format that contains "-" as the separator.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:50:54 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 01:14:04 AM »
I have posted this information to the Simple Machines bug forum.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
I have posted this information to the Simple Machines bug forum.
Unfortunately Alan it's one of many and some have been there for a long time.  :'(
I've resigned myself to doing it manually and it really hasn't been a problem.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
Tech,

what settings show for you in the box (with the % characters etc) above "auto detect"?
Not following you.
Thanks for the clarification Kubecj.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:08 AM »
Tech,

I guess you did not read beyond kubecj telling you he has the same problem.

I suppose it does not help that I gave you an image of the box in question just above in this thread.

It no longer matters anyway - since you ignored my posting that I had reproduced your problem, found the cause and reported it in the Simple Machines forum. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
I suppose it does not help that I gave you an image of the box in question just above in this thread.
It shows the same as mine NaN characters.

It no longer matters anyway - since you ignored my posting that I had reproduced your problem, found the cause and reported it in the Simple Machines forum. 
I did not ignore... just didn't understand.
You've talking about the date format, well it is like this:
%A, %d-%m-%y, %Hh%M