Author Topic: Is there a virus or not?!?!?  (Read 8639 times)

Ebony-Thorn

Is there a virus or not?!?!?
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »
Hello, I apologize if there is a thread for this already; however, I have encountered what may be a virus.  I am running the Avast Home Version 4.8, which I got free from the website.  I use a Windows Vista Laptop made by Red Barn Computers.  It is a shared computer with four users on it.  This computer has never had a virus before.
Just about 20 minutes ago, I was on VampireFreaks.com.  I navigated to the pictures of the month page, and then Avast notified me of a detected virus. :o  I immediately felt my heart pound in my chest because I know I'm DEAD if I get a virus on this computer (my parents will kill me, seriously).
I then deleted my cookies and site history, and rebooted to make sure the message wouldn't come up when the computer turned on.  It didn't.  This caused me a little stress, so I navigated to this forum (which I just 5 minutes ago found) to see how to handle this.  I took the advice in the sticky and re-navigated to the page, but the message didn't come back up.  Avast has so far not found anything infected in the web sheild, where it had found the infection previously.  I'm relieved, but also worried.  I'm not sure if there is a virus or not.  If there is, how do I put the 'file' in the 'chest' if the notification was spurred by a web page?  Also, should I wait for Avast to scan for a while to see if it finds the virus again? 
I apologize for being annoying, I just don't want to find out next month when my parents' PIN gets stolen that the virus was there after all. >:(
P.S. How do you destroy viruses with avast?  Isn't there a button or something? ???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:19:33 AM by Ebony-Thorn »

Jtaylor83

Re: Is there a virus or not?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:16:26 AM »
Can you please post your warning log?

C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast4/DATA/log/warning.txt

Ebony-Thorn

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:20:37 AM »
Hmm, I think I saw that in the bottom right corner of the screen, but it went away.  Is it stored anywhere?

Jtaylor83

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »
Right click on the avast! blue ball > click on avast! Log Viewer > click on the Warning button.

You can scan your to computer to see if you're clean. Better yet, schedule a boot-scan.

Ebony-Thorn

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
Okay, I went to the warnings menu in the log, but I don't see the C: warning message or any way to copy/paste.  I checked the critical and emergency menus and it looks like I'm clear for now.  However, there were two signs of unwanted bugs in the warning log, one from march and one from december (the one I flipped out about).  The one from december says, "Sign of HTML:frame-inf found" and the other, from march, says malware.  What's HTML:frame-inf?  I've never even heard of that.

cod head

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
I had html:Iframe-gen try to get on my computer the other day.From what I read up its a trojan if its the same one.The Avast web shield stopped it getting on my computer.If what you say is in the warning log it may have stoppedit getting on board like it did mine.Do a scan and see what happens.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »
Okay, I went to the warnings menu in the log, but I don't see the C: warning message or any way to copy/paste.  I checked the critical and emergency menus and it looks like I'm clear for now.  However, there were two signs of unwanted bugs in the warning log, one from march and one from december (the one I flipped out about).  The one from december says, "Sign of HTML:frame-inf found" and the other, from march, says malware.  What's HTML:frame-inf?  I've never even heard of that.

If you look further it will show that the infection was detected on a web page URL and not a location on your HDD, is that correct ?

If so the detection was by the web shield and it was blocked from downloading to your system. The only option you would have been given on detection would be Abort Connection (see image) is that correct ?

If so it didn't get on to your system.

This alert is either for a hacked page (the one you visited) having a link to run code from another site. Or it has links to sites known to infect systems, so they are preventative measures.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:03:02 PM »
Well I had a quick check of the page you mention (pic of the month) but I found nothing.

I can see why you went deleting cookies and history when the panic hit, I would imagine your parents wouldn't be too happy about you being in that site in the first place :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security