Author Topic: Avast kills 2 of my computers  (Read 2513 times)

deekay38

Avast kills 2 of my computers
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
Dear All and Whomever

Yesterday I renewed my Avast subscription and downloaded the latest version. After completing the installation many things were wrong with my computer, a Toshiba Equium Laptop with Vista OS. several programs didn't work including windows explorer although Google Chrome did but not correctly in terms of display. I uninstalled and re installed but the same thing happened. Then I restored the system to the day before and everything was ok except that Avast did not work even tho it gave messages that my subscription was due to run out when in fact I had already paid for the next two years and installed the new verification key. ( I realise this was probably because I had restored the system). So then I uninstalled and reinstalled avast, which just gave me the same problem again. So a restored the system again and everything was normal again, except that it left me with the problem that I had no working anti virus and now I also could not unistall Avast.  Each time I tried it came up with an error message, as it did any time I tried to activate Avast. (error messages attached) So to get over this problem for now I have installed AVG free. This is not ideal since I cannot be sure it (AVG) will work correctly since the Avast has the windows default option, which cannot be changed.Also I have paid for the next two years of Avast Pro. (see attached invoice)
Now a couple of months ago I renewed a laptop for a cad cam system, we send data from it by email so I loaded avast free and it killed some of the directory and I had to send the computer back so the operating system (XP) could be reinstalled. What is the problem with Avast new versions, Ive been using Avast quite happily for a number of years with no trouble and preferred it to Norton etc.
Please advise what to do next.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:42:07 PM by deekay38 »

spg SCOTT

Re: Avast kills 2 of my computers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
Hi deekay38,

First off, there is no need to add your invoice, as this is private and not required here, I would advise you remove it... (modify the post and untick the box for it)

Did you have any AV before avast? If so how was it removed? - It may be necessary to remove it using the relevant uninstaller.
(AVG Remover ---> For AVG, try the remover download here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools --> You will need this before re-installing avast! - Remove AVG via add/remove and use it after step 3 below)

I would suggest a reinstall of avast!:

For a re-installation of avast!:

VERY IMPORTANT - Do not uninstall avast! yet, follow the instructions

1. Download the most recent version of avast!
Make sure to download the Full setup file, NOT the 'universal installation file'
2. Download the avast! Un-install Utility
3. Disconnect from the net
4. Uninstall avast! through 'add/remove programs'
5. Reboot into safe mode and run the avast! un-install utility
6. Reboot
7. Install the the latest version of avast!
8. Re-connect to the net.

-Scott-

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:12:09 PM by spg SCOTT »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast kills 2 of my computers
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »
Only thing you had to do was entering the new registration code.
No need to download and install avast again if you had the latest updates.
1) remove avast using the uninstall utility
2) install avast and enter the new registration key