Author Topic: trojan win32:Agent-OTF problem  (Read 3176 times)

tiggers

trojan win32:Agent-OTF problem
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
I have Windows XP SP3 and am unable to remove Trojan Win32:Agent-OTF from my computer. 

I have scanned several times with Avast Antivirus and it shows this trojan mentioned is in C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Smilebox\c
VPS version 081217-0 and my last scan read as 081219-O.

I have used Spybot Search and Destroy and it shows Adware MyWay.websearch (11 items) that I remove each time.  I also scanned using SuperAntispyware several times. The last couple of scans with this program ran clear however Avast normal scan shows I still have this trojan.

I tried a few times using Shedule boot scan using Avast and each time it runs as clear.   I have also scanned in Safe Mode using the programs mentioned above after I have turned off my System Restore and each time Avast shows the trojan I try sending to Chest and receive error in sending to Chest.

At the end of each Avast normal scan the message box shows 'error sending to chest' as well.   

Can you please guide me in how to completely remove this trojan. 

Thank you in advance.

Tiggers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: trojan win32:Agent-OTF problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »
Maybe MBAM or Spyware Terminator help to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.

Also, test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.

If everything fails, try a full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)
The best things in life are free.

tiggers

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:11:04 AM »

I noticed someone in a post above here asking about Malwarebytes and thought I would mention here that I finally was able to remove the trojan I had on my computer and did so by eventually running Malwarebytes program through three times in a row. The first two times it showed the trojan and froze when I tried to remove it at the end of the scan. Third scan and pressing to remove it worked for me.

I did run Avast antirootkit scan through which ran clear and tried another as well as advised initially and appreciated the help advice given.

tiggers

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »
The Adware MyWay.websearch items are usually just tracking cookies and can be blocked by using a HOSTS file.

I use hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS files:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm <== has a good description of the HOSTS file and its use

I manage them with HostsMan and I use its HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:
http://www.abelhadigital.com