Author Topic: MSN email account  (Read 6372 times)

torpedo

MSN email account
« on: April 25, 2004, 07:34:11 PM »
what do I need to do to get avast to scan an MSN email accout that is located on the MSN Portal?
Thanks in advance.
Joe

shgoh

Re:MSN email account
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 07:43:18 PM »
are you talking about the msn web-based email?

if so...your standard shield provider should do the trick... ;)

torpedo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 07:54:51 PM »
Yes, we log into MSN.com and have an email account there.  I wasn't sure if I needed to give the SMTP server info and the POP account info (which I don't know).  I did filll in that info using my ISP account data (SMTP, POP) but wasn't sure if it would protect me.  Thanks for the fast reply.
Joe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 03:15:08 AM »
Yes, we log into MSN.com and have an email account there.  I wasn't sure if I needed to give the SMTP server info and the POP account info (which I don't know).  I did filll in that info using my ISP account data (SMTP, POP) but wasn't sure if it would protect me.  Thanks for the fast reply.
Joe

Joe:
Internet Mail provider can only scan pop/smtp email accounts.
Standard Shield will take a look into your emails if you correctly set it. Please, untill you're familiarized with it, choose High level of protection.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 04:20:30 AM »
Please, untill you're familiarized with it, choose High level of protection.

i thought i heard somewhere that the high level will become normal in future releases? ???

any idea when will it commenced?

torpedo

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 08:51:29 AM »
Thanks, Technical, It is already set for high, just didn't know if this fine program would catch the nasties from web mail.  8)
Joe

stevejrc

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 07:42:11 PM »
you should have mcaffe virus checker aswell at the msn server (if its the same as hotmail), thats blocked .scr and .vbs files being sent to me.

torpedo

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 11:12:57 PM »
Steve,The reason for going with FREE version of Avast is not to pay for an AV program.  Also Avast blocks SCR and VBS extentions.  

I've  used Norton AV until it expired, it had a higher rating than Mcawful. ;D
Joe

stevejrc

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »
I mean the built in mcaffee that msn uses if you download from there site, its on there server not your pc. Hotmail has this for free and scans attachments (it says so), probably not as good as avast though.

torpedo

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 11:13:04 PM »
Sorry Steve for jumping the gun,  I wasn't aware of McAwful on the MSN site.  I'll check it out, but I think Avast will suffice.  Thanks again,
Joe ::)