Author Topic: Managed Avast doesn't run after XP SP3 install.  (Read 6012 times)

Gisabun

Managed Avast doesn't run after XP SP3 install.
« on: December 23, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »
Hi

I was manually installing Win XP SP3. So I used MSConfig to do a clean boot. Install SP3 [no errors]. Reboot. Let the system finish off it's stuff. Open MSConfig and re-enable everything. Reboot.

Some services do not start up. They don't even show up in MSConfig but are listed in the Services applet. In MSConfig, if you go back to the "normal" settings and reboot, the services are still disabled and MSConfig is still in selective mode. In the Services applet, you can't start them.

Of note that most services do start up but a few didn't. In this one the Avast [managed] did not. Can't even uninstall. Gives me an error.

Did a system restore to get back to where I was. Not even sure uninstalling SP3 would of helped.

Ideas why this would happen before I attempt again?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Managed Avast doesn't run after XP SP3 install.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »
To delay avast services to start until the necessary system services are already running, set the Troubleshooting tab of avast settings.
For the others, are they set to automatically start?
Did you have any other antivirus in the past in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

Gisabun

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »
Well, MSConfig effectively stops [disables?] the services from running. All services needed are set to Start [until I use MSConfig].

No other type of AV installed. Has had Avast since it was set up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:23:38 AM »
Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Gisabun

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
As I mentioned, I just did a system restore. System is back to the way it was.

And just in time for an update to Avast.

I'm in the middle of reinstalling SP3 again [this time after checking a few things on the system first].

Noticed that with the new version 4.8....., it denies MSConfig from stopping the Avast services.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »
Noticed that with the new version 4.8....., it denies MSConfig from stopping the Avast services.
Yes, it's the self defense module.
By the way, I've installed tons of SP3 in XP systems... I never disabled anything and never used MSConfig... All my SP3 installations worked smoothly... why are you messing its installation?

Gisabun

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 02:41:44 AM »
Not really messing actually. Some [not here] have suggested that disabling unnecessary startup files and services will reduce any problems with the SP3 install. I know of one other AV software where they did suggest to do a lean boot.

I cam back the next day and installed SP3 the same way with no ill effects. A bit weird.

Noticed with 4.8, it won't even allow MSConfig to disabled most [all?] of the Avast services.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
Not really messing actually. Some [not here] have suggested that disabling unnecessary startup files and services will reduce any problems with the SP3 install.
On contrary I think... SP3 could be installed with other services running and Windows working as it is...

Noticed with 4.8, it won't even allow MSConfig to disabled most [all?] of the Avast services.
It's the avast self defense module. You can disable it... but for what? You don't have to disable avast to install SP3...
It's the avast self defense module. You

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
Yes, it's the self defense module.
By the way, I've installed tons of SP3 in XP systems... I never disabled anything and never used MSConfig... All my SP3 installations worked smoothly... why are you messing its installation?

I have to agree with Tech in that I have never heard of using MSConfig to install SP3 nor have I ever had the need to disable any avast services to do this. While I haven't installed SP3 on as many computers as Tech, I do have 6 computers that I "take care of" in this respect.

I would be interested in knowing from where you got this advice.

Gisabun

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »
Don't remember exactly where I saw it. I've been using the clean boot method for a while already.

Here's a link from Microsoft's site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Don't remember exactly where I saw it. I've been using the clean boot method for a while already.
Here's a link from Microsoft's site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
The method is ok. It's from Microsoft.
The problem is why are you using to install SP3? It's not necessary.
It's a troubleshooting method, not a must have one.