Author Topic: Files I download are going directly into the recycle bin  (Read 2926 times)

pbman1953

Files I download are going directly into the recycle bin
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »
I use the usenet to download files. I have the newsreader- newsleecher on the exceptions list. But, sometimes during a download many of the files ,that are supposed to go to specific folders, go directly to the recycle bin

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Files I download are going directly into the recycle bin
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »
Well avast isn't an anti-spam nor does it send anything to the recycle bin, it alerts you to infection and 'you' choose what action to take.

What version of avast do you use, home/pro ?
What is your email client, it that where the NNTP files would go (and be read by newsleecher ?
What does the folder sorting ?

Sorry I don't use newsleecher so I'm not familiar with how it works.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pbman1953

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:39:08 PM »
Newsleecher is a news group reader. Mush like Newsrover, of you've seen that. The program eliminates the need to use the email client. It's a stand alone program

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »
I'm aware of what it is not how it goes about its business.

I use outlook express and that incorporates NNTP into the email clients folder structure and has a bacic newsreader function. So outside of that I'm totally unfamiliar with newsreaders.

I'm familiar with how avast works and what you are experiencing isn't something that avast does. Especially as you say you have excluded newsleecher from avast scans. If it did scan the content it would only alert to infected usenet posts and prompt you for an action. It doesn't take autonomous action in the Home version that is why I asked about what avast version you have ?

Even in the Pro version you would have to setup the action that you wanted on detection or it too would simply alert and await user input.

So I'm not really sure what is going on here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pbman1953

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »
I use 4.8 home

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:34 PM »
Yes, this makes even less likely as it doesn't have any automated function and even then it would have to be related to having found an infected usenet post. That would be shown in the avast log viewer, warning section.

However, that still brings us back to the problem, having excluded newsleecher from being scanned by the internet mail provider, NNTP trafffic scan. So where did you exclude newsleecher traffic from being scanned and what exactly did you type ?

I afraid that is still clutching at straws as a) it would still need to be an infected usenet post, b) if it were an infected post it would stop everything and throw up an alert as the home version doesn't have any automated function.

Another way of excluding newsleecher:
The supersearch uses a protocol other than NNTP on port 119 and that is a problem for the mail scanner. The workaround is the option "Use alt. supersearch port" in NewsLeecher options or to put the address 70.86.176.98 to the Internet Mail's ignored addresses.