Author Topic: Did I Make a Mistake Deleting?  (Read 3294 times)

DevCh

Did I Make a Mistake Deleting?
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:01:45 AM »
Hi.  This morning I installed the free version of Avast on my desktop.  After installing a boot scan started.  About a quarter of the way through the scan it found the following:

C:\WINDOWS\STYSTEM32\Activescan\pskavs.dll is infected by win32:CTX

It gave me many options of which I did not know what to do so I chose to delete...thinking I should get rid of it out of my system.  After deleting I have not had any problems with my system, but I am gathering from reading other posts here that deleting was probably not a good idea?   I have no idea what this file supposedly infected has to do with.  I also have not rebooted, so I am hoping that it does not have to do with anything needed to start up windows....does anyone have any idea if by deleting it will cause any problems? 

Also, should I continue to let Avast boot scan when I start my pc or should I set Avast to not boot scan until I want it to? and if so where do I find this setting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Did I Make a Mistake Deleting?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 04:15:09 AM »
Hi welcome to the forum.

Send to the chest should be your first choice. As you have read, delete means delete and no more options.

The boot time scan should only run when you want it to. It should not run each time you boot your computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »
In this case no real damage done but it is a bad habit to get into.

This is caused because you have at come time dome a Panda spit on-line scan. Apart from the fact that it dumps all this cr*p in a sub-folder of the system32 folder, it doesn't encrypt its signatures, so your resident AV, in this case avast, detects the signature. After all this is what an AV does look for matching virus signatures.

You should remove this Panda activescan junk from the system32 folder, I'm not sure if there is a add remove entry for panda/activescan in the usual windows add remove programs area.

If not I don't know if this will do the job - Panda removal tool: http://www.pandasoftware.com/resources/sop/UNINST_v1012.exe.

Here is a link for other On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt that don't seem to cause this grief.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DevCh

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:01:03 AM »
Ok, thank you oldman & davidr, I really appreciate your help!

From now on I will be sure to move any infections found to chest. 

I will also check to see if I can use the add/remove to get rid of the panda scan signature and if not then try the rest of your suggestion.   Several months ago I used the panda online scanner when I had acquired a virus and a tech, who was helping to rid my pc of it, instructed me to use the online scanner. 

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 01:16:42 AM »
Hi,

You're welcome. I think it may be listed in add/remove as Panda Active scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Merry Christmas and welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DevCh

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »
Happy holidays and thanks to you both. 

I found and removed the Panda Active Scan with my Revo Uninstaller program.

All seems ok now.