Author Topic: Found possible bug  (Read 2529 times)

philinvegas

Found possible bug
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:24:24 AM »
I'm not sure if what happened coincided with the security update of IE7 or not but here goes.

I started having freezing problems when I ran IE and visited websites (about every 10 -15 min). I did a total scan for malware using various methods. I made sure that there were no processes running that would conflict with Avast!

So, I'm looking around at what it might be, and found something interesting that worked. I went to Tools/options/advanced and saw the phishing filter. I disabled it figuring that Avast! already performs that function. I have tried it now for two days and not a single freeze. It appears that what I did worked.

Oh and btw, today I had someone suggest a site and I went there and the "nuke" symbol came up. NICE!

Keep up the good work

YoKenny

Re: Found possible bug
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
I would suspect your firewall is causing the problem.

How much RAM does the system have and what type and speed is the CPU?

cod head

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:52:38 AM »
I suspect YoKenny is right.I have Avast and the phishing filter working together with no adverse affects. ;).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:39:27 PM »
Besides checking the firewall, maybe you could follow general procedures to make sure your computer is clean:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

zone12

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 12:47:36 AM »
try deleting your cookies it ight be something that you got