Author Topic: Ghost ???  (Read 13582 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ghost ???
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
I too would have never though it related to MBR locking in BIOS, mainly because I have never locked it down, possibly because on older BIOS version it probably isn't even an option. But mainly I wouldn't like to actually do that (lock the MBR) as there must be times when the MBR is adjusted legitimately.

Good find though, it would be nice if the image/icon was more user friendly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 01:02:25 AM »
AMIBIOS issues a warning when any program (or virus) issues a Disk Format command or attempts to write to the boot sector of the hard disk drive.
Are you formating the disk? Why does the message appear?
The best things in life are free.

handcuff36

Ghost ???
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:47 PM »
Good morning DavidR and a Happy 2009.
As I do not have any explanation for this ghost, I am simply stating what I see and there might be no corelation to this, as Tech asked. But it seems strange that it would appear ( ghost are want to do this ) on the screen at bootup. No other link.
I keep the MBR locked in my BIOS on account of the new virus going'round. Mebkit ??? I once got the warning when installing a PRG, I forget which one that was, I think that it was when installing Ubuntu in a Windows Vista system, where a double-boot option is installed by a Boot Manager. I have had no other warning, mind you, I do not surf much on any of my many putors.

Now also a good morning to Tech and a Happy 2009 to you too.
 No, I was not formatting my HD, the text that I Cut & Pasted was from the Award site and it explained how to lock the MBR against malware. But you knew this ! I am still chasing this ghost. Yesterday, I completely dumped all cookies and this morning on bootup, no ghost. I was also looking over some old saved apps and I chanced on one called Ad-Aware, it ran in Vista and showed me one bad item referring to "Double-Click". I chased it, it was in the cookies file/folder. That gave me the push to delete all of them again and now no ghost.  This ghost is a brain stimulating effort, I will keep looking for more pointers to why it comes around. In the mean time, your attention is appreciated.
                                                                 JP.    aka handcuff36

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »
I much prefer to have a good recovery system in the form of hard disk imaging software, that take an exact image of your system, so if you experience a problem you can restore your last partition/disk image.

I do a weekly image of my C: and E: HDD partitions, saving the images to a third partition, I then make a copy of those images on an external HDD should the worst happen and I have a HDD failure on my internal HDD. I must treat my new system to a second internal HDD (like my old system) so back-ups are on the 2nd HDD and external HDD.

A Happy New Year to you too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

handcuff36

That Ghost again, not !
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »
    Good morn David R.

I much prefer to have a good recovery system in the form of hard disk imaging software, that take an exact image of your system, so if you experience a problem you can restore your last partition/disk image.

I do a weekly image of my C: and E: HDD partitions, saving the images to a third partition, I then make a copy of those images on an external HDD should the worst happen and I have a HDD failure on my internal HDD. I must treat my new system to a second internal HDD (like my old system) so back-ups are on the 2nd HDD and external HDD.

I do likewise, I use TrueImage and about once/month, I image the Vista to a USB HD. Better safe than sorry.

As I said recently, I got rid of all cookies and no ghost. Which one was the culprit ? I might never know but this sounds more like the cause than the BIOS being locked or not. I am still keeping an eye on this, just as a curiosity more than a fear of being "invaded". at the moment, my BIOS is locked and no ghost, is this an achievement ? Time will tell. I will thank you and Tech for your interest and time. 

My #2 system runs double boot of XPP and Ubuntu, on that one, I have not done the U'u image yet. Both systems own their own HD, the Master ( IDE 0 ) is XPP and the Slave ( IDE 1 ) is U'u. Like you, I shall do an image of this soon. What imaging app are you using ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
One day I might have a dabble with Linux again, the last time I tried it using a Live CD version (can't even recall the distro) was years ago.

handcuff36

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 02:21:46 AM »
    David, give me an address at handcuff36atgmaildotcom and I will mail you a CD.   Fun this is.     JP.

One day I might have a dabble with Linux again, the last time I tried it using a Live CD version (can't even recall the distro) was years ago.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 03:18:33 AM »
It's OK, it is more of a setting aside some time to do it rather than difficulty in getting a Live CD or regular distro. Thanks for the offer though.

handcuff36

U'u.
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »

David, hello.

I was quite reluctant to go to U'u but I was dared into it. It is quite viable, you know. It does all that IE can do, not any better, just equally. Food for thought, there is never a virus present.

FWIW, after cleaning all the cookies, that ghost has not shown up again, touch wood !  No such problem in U'u, just in Vista. 

Be good.                 JP            aka handcuff36

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »
there is never a virus present
"Hardly ever" would be more accurate.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
Hello handcuff36 !
"As I said recently, I got rid of all cookies and no ghost. Which one was the culprit ?"
I was going to suggest getting another monitor, connecting it to see if "The Ghost" is just a fault of your current monitor,  i.e. a Hardware problem with your monitor . Seems a logical step to take, which from what I can understand you have not checked ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »
I was going to suggest getting another monitor, connecting it to see if "The Ghost" is just a fault of your current monitor,  i.e. a Hardware problem with your monitor . Seems a logical step to take, which from what I can understand you have not checked ?
Or, if you don't have another one, just use a Live CD with Linux to check...
The best things in life are free.

handcuff36

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 03:03:50 PM »

Abraxas, good morning.

"As I said recently, I got rid of all cookies and no ghost. Which one was the culprit ?"

>>>I was going to suggest getting another monitor, connecting it to see if "The Ghost" is just a fault of your current monitor,  i.e. a Hardware problem with your monitor . Seems a logical step to take, which from what I can understand you have not checked ?<<<

Indeed, a very logical step to trouble shoot with another monitor. But, have you had a good look at the Ghost that I U/L'd here ? They are too well defined to be a monitor fault and then, it would move around a little, in the same area of about 2" x 2", near My Computor, in Vista.  Once, it showed up behind My Computor.  I really had to be watching for it and not blink an eye as it was there for a fraction of a second.

Since the cookies was cleansed, no more ghost. I totally ignore which cookie was causing this if indeed a cookie was. I even had the Vista redone to factory state using the two DVDs made when brand new, it took about a week for the ghost to reappear. I make it a routine now to flush the cookies. I also had Ubuntu on this system for a while, running in Windows and there was no ghost on the screen when looking at U'u.

Thanks for your attention all the way from down-under.              JP.   aka   handcuff36

handcuff36

Ghost ???
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »

Hello Tech.

>>>I was going to suggest getting another monitor, connecting it to see if "The Ghost" is just a fault of your current monitor,  i.e. a Hardware problem with your monitor . Seems a logical step to take, which from what I can understand you have not checked ?<<<

>>>Or, if you don't have another one, just use a Live CD with Linux to check...<<<

I am quite sure that this was not a monitor problem, and I did at one time have U'u running on this Vista, no ghost then. If you have read my previous comments, you will remember that a cleaning of the cookies "seems" to have sent the ghost to oblivion.  This is still a new system, it will be one year old this February 29th, ooops, March 1st this year. The monitor is LCD and in prima shape. Your suggestions were very valuable, thanks a mega.

Time will tell now if the cookies were the cause of this curious occurrence, cleaning them out routinely now is a little pain as it takes all "saved" names and passwords out of the system, this might be a safer way to operate anyway.

Have a great day.                        JP.   aka handcuff36.

handcuff36

Gone Ghost ???
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 01:26:35 AM »
Hello David R and Tech.

Well it does seem like the "Cleaning cookies" cured the ghost or at least scrared him away, if I remember to do the clearing, Ghost begone, I try to do this just before shutting down !

Now this bring a question....  how can I actually see the Cookies folder in Vista. Not finding it, I use the IE Tools menu, go to Internet Options and using that dialogue, I empty all the cookies. A while back, I could see a dimmed folder called "Low" and there see all the cookies. I have been locked out for a while, I do not see that folder anymore. Can you help me in this ? I have allowed to see all foldes in "Folder Options" and that LOW used to show before, I have used it and could see all the cookies.txt. I am interested in seeing them again to try and find which one is the Ghost hatcher.

In the mean time, I hope that 09 is good to you.          Hnadcuff   aka JP.