Author Topic: disable skinning?  (Read 4360 times)

treidus

disable skinning?
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:34:29 AM »
i like avast so far, but i really dislike the skinning feature. i find it to be a bit bloated. is there any way to disable it?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:disable skinning?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 02:39:30 AM »
no current way to disable it, however this may be an option in the future
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 03:00:03 AM »
Is there any way to disable it?

You can buy the Professional version, not skinned  ;D
Or, just try to use the simplest skin: Low res.

Sorry but I cannot agree with your statement:

I find it to be a bit bloated.

Great users (Sasha) and Alwil's team (Martin Novak) did such a great work. Simple skins could not bore you... I cannot believe not just one fit your needs... Did you try: Lite-On, Corporate, Flat'n'Simple, Petite and Petite Blue? Quite simple and good ones  8)
The best things in life are free.

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 04:16:32 AM »
i thought skinning is one of the UNIQUE features of avast! ;D ;D ;D

treidus

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 06:27:36 AM »
ive tried pretty much all the simple skins on the site and i pretty much dislike them all. the skinning feature is unique, especially for an anti-virus but sometimes people (eg, me) would prefer a more uniform look to their software. a tutorial on how to skin avast! would be nice, i suppose. i DO hope, though, that an option to disable skinning comes out in the next version.

shgoh

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 06:30:11 AM »
ive tried pretty much all the simple skins on the site and i pretty much dislike them all.

:'( :'( :'(

i seriously don't see a need for such an option to disable skins... :)

maybe you can try the pro version (enhanced user interface) which is not skinnable... ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 06:40:13 AM by shgoh »

drahnier

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 07:08:47 AM »
ive tried pretty much all the simple skins on the site and i pretty much dislike them all. the skinning feature is unique, especially for an anti-virus but sometimes people (eg, me) would prefer a more uniform look to their software. a tutorial on how to skin avast! would be nice, i suppose. i DO hope, though, that an option to disable skinning comes out in the next version.

I agree with you 100%. Especially wrt to the uniform look of applications. I would very much like avast! to adhere to the native XP skinning engine.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 08:11:39 AM »
Disabling of skins is one of the most important features of the next version of avast. For "normal" people, to skin or not to skin is just a question of personal preference. There're people, however, for whom turning off the skins is a must (e.g. visually impaired people with screen readers) and we'd like to make avast accessible even for them...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

drahnier

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 08:27:19 AM »
Disabling of skins is one of the most important features of the next version of avast. For "normal" people, to skin or not to skin is just a question of personal preference. There're people, however, for whom turning off the skins is a must (e.g. visually impaired people with screen readers) and we'd like to make avast accessible even for them...

I'm very happy to hear this. And am looking forward to see a skin-free avast!.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 04:22:40 AM »
I'm very happy to hear this. And am looking forward to see a skin-free avast!.

Me not :(
Long life to Sasha and Martin Novak  ;)

Anyway, I understand you Vlk and agree with you: avast for all  8)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 04:23:43 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.